My date is anti vaxxer, should I still go on a date with him?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
girlywurly123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Ok so I'm a bit frightened rn. This week I'm going on a date with a bloke from online who I've been getting on with like a house on fire. Everything is going ok....except that I've discovered today he is anti vaccine. And Now I don't even know if I want to meet him anymore, his attitude to it is so disgusting and it's put me off a bit.

My mum has been struggling to breathe properly today, it's not coronavirus though it's a chest infection. Anyway I used the opportunity to ask my date if he's ok for us to both do a test before our date, I do not want to bring the virus home to my mum when she's poorly and I'm scared of catching it myself. At first my date tried to avoid the question, but then said he doesn't have any tests on him but he is sure he doesn't have it. Everyone in my family including me have been double jabbed. Basically, my date has told me he has no intention of getting the vaccine, and doesn't even want to get tested. He just doesn't give a ****, and insists "I don't think I need it" which is selfish af to me, what about his grandparents? Mum and dad? I told him it shouldn't just be about what he wants, think of his family, but even knowing how anxious i am about this, my warnings about it, telling him a true story about a bodybuilder who died cos he refused the vaccine, he won't listen.

Should I even bother going on a date with this bloke? I feel like I could come home with the virus if I do. It's so **** cos I really liked him.
ecoleaf
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by girlywurly123)
Ok so I'm a bit frightened rn. This week I'm going on a date with a bloke from online who I've been getting on with like a house on fire. Everything is going ok....except that I've discovered today he is anti vaccine. And Now I don't even know if I want to meet him anymore, his attitude to it is so disgusting and it's put me off a bit.

My mum has been struggling to breathe properly today, it's not coronavirus though it's a chest infection. Anyway I used the opportunity to ask my date if he's ok for us to both do a test before our date, I do not want to bring the virus home to my mum when she's poorly and I'm scared of catching it myself. At first my date tried to avoid the question, but then said he doesn't have any tests on him but he is sure he doesn't have it. Everyone in my family including me have been double jabbed. Basically, my date has told me he has no intention of getting the vaccine, and doesn't even want to get tested. He just doesn't give a ****, and insists "I don't think I need it" which is selfish af to me, what about his grandparents? Mum and dad? I told him it shouldn't just be about what he wants, think of his family, but even knowing how anxious i am about this, my warnings about it, telling him a true story about a bodybuilder who died cos he refused the vaccine, he won't listen.

Should I even bother going on a date with this bloke? I feel like I could come home with the virus if I do. It's so **** cos I really liked him.
Go on the date if you're fine going out with someone who defies the laws of science and basic knowledge.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
No I wouldn't go, I agree he is being really selfish and this incident and refusal to do something that would probably save his life if he caught it, it's showing his true colours. He's not listening to you, which means he doesn't respect you. **** him off!
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That'd be a dealbreaker for me, personally, so if I were you I would end things here.
Last edited by 1582; 3 weeks ago
summerbirdreads
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would find better date
girlywurly123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Kinda feel like I'm being selfish too though cos of my feelings about it :/
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Go for the date and have a great time. All the best
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Go on the date. Don't let something this minor get in the way of a good match.

I've went on dates with girls who I thought were far too "woke" for my liking and really enjoyed them!
Crazy Jamie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There are many different shades of anti vaxxer. Even a decision not to get the vaccine doesn't mean that they're necessarily someone who you couldn't get on with. But in this situation the massive red flag for me is the refusal to even take a test, particularly given your mother's vulnerability. Quite apart from his stance on vaccines, that is a massive problem. I'd be cancelling if I were you.
Last edited by Crazy Jamie; 3 weeks ago
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Gaddafi)

I've went on dates with girls who I thought were far too "woke" for my liking and really enjoyed them!
If she catches COVID from her date, and especially if her immune compromised mum then catches it from her, it'll stop being "something minor" in a hurry.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Tell him you need to see a vaccine passport before you’ll go on a date with him. More seriously while I would be pretty suspicious of someone who doesn’t get vaccinated in current circumstances if I fancied them I’d probably still go for it and seek to influence.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Gaddafi)

And even if that didn't happen, the fact that he's reckless as to whether it will, and doesn't seem to care about endangering her or her family, is a massive red flag.
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Depends on the person. If they are so opinionated and go on and on and on about it then yeah id sack them off. But red flag if he wont have a test and dont give a monkeys about passing it onto your mum, very 'caring' that.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
No you're really not, you're just being sensible. But having reservations about this means you're getting cold feet, so if I were you I wouldn't top
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not wanting to catch COVID and wanting to protect your vulnerable family members from it is not selfish, it's hugely sensible.
brjf
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Maybe separate someone’s political views from their character?
Crazy Jamie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by brjf)
Maybe separate someone’s political views from their character?
You'd don't think refusing to take a test before going on a date with someone whose mother is vulnerable to Covid speaks to someone's character?
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
If she catches COVID from her date, and especially if her immune compromised mum then catches it from her, it'll stop being "something minor" in a hurry.
Ok, put the foot down on him getting tested regularly but don't press the vaccine matter. Being an anti vaxxer isn't that big of a deal, its just a political disagreement. Like a tory dating a lefty, people make it work all the time
brjf
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly the state of society when this is apparently the most important thing in a relationship. As long as they aren’t going on and on about their political views, nor are they extreme and too opinionated it isn’t hard to be in a relationship with someone.
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by brjf)
Honestly the state of society when this is apparently the most important thing in a relationship. As long as they aren’t going on and on about their political views, nor are they extreme and too opinionated it isn’t hard to be in a relationship with someone.
prsom!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (296)
57.36%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (72)
13.95%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (58)
11.24%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (44)
8.53%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
5.04%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.88%

Watched Threads