The Student Room Group

Physics or Engineering!

I am interested in both physics and engineering and i aspire to go to an Oxbridge university, i am early entry so i need to decide what course i want to take before signing up for the PAT ASAP, i had assumed i would have a couple more weeks to decide since both admissions tests require the PAT to be done.My question is, how do i decide?i like both aspects of the courses in future careers whether its the creative and technical side of engineering but also the theoretical work and doing research in a physics related career...The idea of engineering really appeals to me however i am not a particularly practical person and im not very good with my hands, im hoping i can develop these key skills while on the course doing practical work.I also wanted to ask recent past students on their opinions of the professors and lecturers? as i have seen some mixed reviews on the older lecturers.thanks so much any replies are greatly appreciated!
Original post by frootloops101
I am interested in both physics and engineering and i aspire to go to an Oxbridge university, i am early entry so i need to decide what course i want to take before signing up for the PAT ASAP, i had assumed i would have a couple more weeks to decide since both admissions tests require the PAT to be done.My question is, how do i decide?i like both aspects of the courses in future careers whether its the creative and technical side of engineering but also the theoretical work and doing research in a physics related career...The idea of engineering really appeals to me however i am not a particularly practical person and im not very good with my hands, im hoping i can develop these key skills while on the course doing practical work.I also wanted to ask recent past students on their opinions of the professors and lecturers? as i have seen some mixed reviews on the older lecturers.thanks so much any replies are greatly appreciated!

Not being good with your hands isn’t an issue for engineering, an engineering degree is about making someone capable of working in a professional engineering role (such as R&D) not a technician role.

I don’t think you’ll find studying either wildly different i terms of what your life will be like, with either you’ll probably find most days your learning applications which are described mathematically. Although the context will change between the degrees. It’s really personal choice as to which one you want to study.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Not being good with your hands isn’t an issue for engineering, an engineering degree is about making someone capable of working in a professional engineering role (such as R&D) not a technician role.

I don’t think you’ll find studying either wildly different i terms of what your life will be like, with either you’ll probably find most days your learning applications which are described mathematically. Although the context will change between the degrees.

Thank you so much for your reply! Allow me a follow up question, assuming you were debating over two course as I am right now, what led you to pick one over the other?
Thanks again!
Original post by 15budp
Thank you so much for your reply! Allow me a follow up question, assuming you were debating over two course as I am right now, what led you to pick one over the other?
Thanks again!

What specific theories or technologies are you interested in learning or reading about in your spare time, whatever sorts of things you look into what subject are they more directly related to...
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
What specific theories or technologies are you interested in learning or reading about in your spare time, whatever sorts of things you look into what subject are they more directly related to...

Thank you again for your reply I really appreciate I did exactly that and it helped me decide!
Reply 5
Original post by 15budp
Thank you again for your reply I really appreciate I did exactly that and it helped me decide!

Out of curiosity what did you pick? 😊
Original post by user342
Out of curiosity what did you pick? 😊

I ended up going for engineering, after many long discussions with many members of staff weighing out the pros and cons of each thoroughly and deep consultations from my physics department, but mainly what tipped me to one side was the future prospects in engineering seemed to outweigh the future capabilities of physics. But if anyone is reading this in a similar situation to mine years onwards like i was searching through student room threads i highly recommend talking to members of staff of various subjects for deeper insights and making a pros and cons list :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending