Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
If I got a tattoo, would that negatively impact my future?

I used to self harm when I was a young kid. It's getting a little embarassing now when I am wearing short sleeves scrubs, and the patients/ nurses/ doctors see them.

If I got a visible wrist tattoo, would that negatively impact me? i.e. when I'm trying to get a job, or do interviews.
StephRadriguez
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It might yes, but it also might not. If you want to be safe, I would say get a tattoo that can easily be covered up
HeavLeighGill
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I have a lot of tattoos and do regret some of them, mainly for the fact that they are on my hand and arms so I can’t really cover them easily. If you want to cover those scars, a really nice tattoo might make you feel more confident and it’s easier to explain than the scars are, so it could be a better option for you in that case. I think the best thing to do would be to make sure that you get something you like that wouldn’t be offensive since it’s so visible. Also, you really do get what you pay for, so use a respected artist and don’t go for the cheapest option since it will be on you forever. I made the mistake and wound up with a tattoo that had to be covered with a better one.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
ecolier or GANFYD might be able to advise on what if any NHS policies there are on this - I think this does get raised every now and then but I can't remember what has been advised before. You might be expected to wear long sleeve shirts under your scrubs to cover the tattoos or something while at work maybe?
Last edited by artful_lounger; 2 weeks ago
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
ecolier or GANFYD might be able to advise on what if any NHS policies there are on this - I think this does get raised every now and then but I can't remember what has been advised before. You might be expected to wear long sleeve shirts under your scrubs to cover the tattoos or something while at work maybe?
The GMC has no official stance on tattoos, afaik.
Most Trusts have a Uniform Policy, but I have never known tattoos fall foul of this.
I think anything graphic or explicit might be an issue (including swear words), and I have never seen a face-tattooed Dr (personally), but other than that, i don't think it would be an issue
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (56)
14.47%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.32%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.31%
I'm finding things difficult (132)
34.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.79%

Watched Threads