The Student Room Group

Cardiff uni biosci

Is anyone else getting increasing frustrated at how Cardiff uni are handling this year? We literally start our course next week but no timetable, our induction is on thursday and we only just got our schedule for it. Our entire first semester is online with practicals only in the second semester so we're just going to be stuck behind our laptop screens in our rooms all over again. I really wish I had just deferred another year because I'm having to deal with this situation again for the 2nd time. How are we allowed to go to clubs with no masks and everyone in VERY close proximity to one another, shouting, dancing and moving around but we're not allowed to sit in a lecture theatre with even our masks on?? It's ridiculous and I can't believe I'm paying all this money to essentially be watching videos of lectures. I might as well not even attend the live lectures and just watch the recorded lectures when its convenient to me like -_- I am extremely unhappy and I know the vast majority of the other biosci students feel the same way. Ridiculous.
All lectures online is a bit harsh. Most unis have large lectures online but offer seminars (20 people in a room) and tutorials (6-10) face to face so you are being treated poorly by Cardiff. Go to your student's union and raise a complaint. if you feel confident, put your hand up to be the student representative for your course and take your complaint to the department.
Original post by mike23mike
All lectures online is a bit harsh. Most unis have large lectures online but offer seminars (20 people in a room) and tutorials (6-10) face to face so you are being treated poorly by Cardiff. Go to your student's union and raise a complaint. if you feel confident, put your hand up to be the student representative for your course and take your complaint to the department.

Been looking around Biosciences courses with 3rd child and asking about in person teaching for this year to gauge what next year may look like - vast difference between universities - some are very much as described here which is super poor and a cop out, others are all lectures online (a permanent change) but the rest in person and only 2 out of 12 are just 1 very large lecture per week online and rest in person.

Questions I would consider before approaching uni.

How many hours contact per week is the course advertised as?
How many hours if any are you getting? Is it zero or are you getting tutorials or seminars in person?
Would you have had labs this term prior to covid or was it always only labs in 2 term?
Is it pre-recorded or live online? So is it interactive? can you ask questions verbally or in the chat box for clarification?

I would go to course rep (if you have one) first.
I would bring it up during induction and ask them to put their response in an email as well as verbally.
Check with friends on other courses to see if there is a difference between departments at the unis. (We found that there was at some unis - which seems bizarre)
As a Bioscience course it is a practical course and therefore I would expect a large degree of in person contact.
Original post by Anonymous
Is anyone else getting increasing frustrated at how Cardiff uni are handling this year? We literally start our course next week but no timetable, our induction is on thursday and we only just got our schedule for it. Our entire first semester is online with practicals only in the second semester so we're just going to be stuck behind our laptop screens in our rooms all over again. I really wish I had just deferred another year because I'm having to deal with this situation again for the 2nd time. How are we allowed to go to clubs with no masks and everyone in VERY close proximity to one another, shouting, dancing and moving around but we're not allowed to sit in a lecture theatre with even our masks on?? It's ridiculous and I can't believe I'm paying all this money to essentially be watching videos of lectures. I might as well not even attend the live lectures and just watch the recorded lectures when its convenient to me like -_- I am extremely unhappy and I know the vast majority of the other biosci students feel the same way. Ridiculous.

see my comment below - feel for you

Quick Reply

Latest