personal statement help

Watch this thread
scarlettmxmx
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi everyone
anyone got any ideas on how I could write the fact that I studied latin at gcse in my personal statement, and make it sound good ?
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
Why are you looking to write that in your PS - is it related to the course you’re applying for? Because if not then I’d leave it out. Remember, you list your qualifications in your UCAS applications so they will see that you’ve studied Latin from that.

If it is relevant, I’d consider focusing on why you found it interesting e.g. is it because of its links to more modern languages, do you find the study of historic languages more interesting etc?
scarlettmxmx
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by BlueEyedGirl_)
Why are you looking to write that in your PS - is it related to the course you’re applying for? Because if not then I’d leave it out. Remember, you list your qualifications in your UCAS applications so they will see that you’ve studied Latin from that.

If it is relevant, I’d consider focusing on why you found it interesting e.g. is it because of its links to more modern languages, do you find the study of historic languages more interesting etc?
Hi , thanks for your reply. I’m applying to vet med, now that I think of it it might not be as relevant but I thought maybe I could link it to scientific vocab in some way
Last edited by scarlettmxmx; 8 months ago
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by scarlettmxmx)
Hi everyone
anyone got any ideas on how I could write the fact that I studied latin at gcse in my personal statement, and make it sound good ?
Your GCSEs are already listed in the qualifications section of your application.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Hi , thanks for your reply. I’m applying to vet med, now that I think of it it might not be as relevant but I thought maybe I could link it to scientific vocab in some way
As above, your GCSEs are listed in on your application elsewhere so they can see it, and I don't really thing linking Latin to scientific terminology to vet med is a productive use of the very limited character space you have for the PS! You would be better off writing about and reflecting on your work experience than linking random subjects like that.

Also although I've not done vet med or any related courses, I have done some Latin and I'm skeptical of how useful learning Latin actually is for it, since the study of Latin is mostly studying grammar and not just learning vocab (which may or may not form the root of some scientific term). I don't think knowing what a prepositional phrase is or the innumerable uses of the dative and ablative cases will be that useful in vet med...and I suspect admissions tutors might have some idea of that as well (since if for no other reason, most students nowadays probably don't study Latin and still do well enough learning all the relevant terminology without that background).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 8 months ago
YetiSpaghetti
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Lol I did Latin A-level and am applying for Dentistry but idk I haven't put it in my PS. I wouldn't think it would be all too necessary to mention but I guess you could link it to scientific terms and being able to understand more easily?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (23)
33.33%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (31)
44.93%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
20.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.45%

Watched Threads