Radiator wont switch off, far too hot. What are my rights?

Watch
mainer
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I stay in Student accom which is set out as small self contained studios.

Since I have moved in around two weeks my radiator keeps coming on full blast and there is no way to turn it off. The temp dial in my room doesnt work and is set too 0.

The management company has had someone in too look at the heating for the building on my second day, they said the heat to my room would be turned off, but it only styed off for two days.

Its been in the 20s all week now and my heating being on full blast isnt helping me sleep or study.

I was given a cooling unit by the management company but this only cools the air directly in front of it like a fan, and does not cool the whole room.

So students who have stayed here before have said that the heating has never worked.

What are my rights here? Are they legally obligated to allow me to be able to control my own heating? Or do I have to live with being far too hot all the time?
Kelivesy
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
On the opposite side of the radiator to where the thermostat is you can turn that valve instead and then you should turn off the water to the radiator.
username4986690
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
You are not legally required to control your own heating however given that it is broken they do have a legal obligation to repair it within a reasonable time frame.

How long has it been since you reported it?

I would chase them everyday until they fix it and get a full explanation of the problem. Failing that you take it up the chain, report it directly to the head office.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.62%
Okay (86)
29.55%
A bit lacking (105)
36.08%
Not good at all (72)
24.74%

Watched Threads