The Student Room Group

Struggling with money at uni, not sure how i'm going to last

I have always been pretty poor at budgeting but I have totally lost track recently and accidentally miscalculated my student finance.

I get the maximum loan for a third year, about £8800, and my accomodation costs £7200. I get the money in installments, about £2700 ish each term (not sure exactly), and I pay about £2400 each term for my accomodation.

I have £1000 in savings for everything else, but it has left me with about £250 for the month, but then I will lose my savings and have nothing left for a job / rent / etc when I leave uni. Obviously my 'savings' are for the future, not now, but I keep having to use them otherwise I will have nothing.

I keep applying to jobs and just never hearing back. I also have ADHD so it makes things a lot harder. I am lucky to be getting support but it doesn't help in terms of financial struggle

I just really don't know what I can do anymore? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Getting some part-time work will probably be most helpful for you, but I can also give you a few budgeting tips as well.

Some people find it helps to get out all the money for the week in cash, stopping them from racking up spending that they might not fully realise the true cost of on a card. Obviously, covid means people are using cards a lot more than cash now so this tip might be the most practical in current circumstances.

Next, made sure to keep a record of your finances and spending in a notebook or something that you keep out on your desk at all times. Keep all your receipts and write down the amount you've spent each day in your notebook, taking off the amount from the total you've spent that week or month or whatever. At the end of the week total up your spending--this helps you track how much you spend on a weekly basis and lets you see some patterns of where you're spending the most. I always find it's really helpful to have this visual representation as I don't always remember to check my banking app.

There are some other things you can do to save some pennies: cook meals in bulk and freeze them (especially good for things you can quickly defrost in the microwave and then have with some pasta/rice), buy supermarket own instead of brands (cheaper and just as good), and never shop when hungry as you're far more likely to buy food that you don't really need.

You said you have ADHD--is there any way you can get financial support/help from your uni? They might have things set up to aid students who struggle with their own finances and be able to teach them methods to help them.

I hope this has been some help for you and I hope that your financial situation improves as soon as possible!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending