Lots of people coughing and spluttering end of freshers week.

Watch
ultirian
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Just a question, I have moved into halls and have noticed that people have been coughing and spluttering more and more as the week has progressed, Am I the only one noticing this? Or this normal fare as I have heard of freshers flu and stuff, I am not around many people as a older student and got loads of other stuff on so avoided it so far.

Anyone else got this going on in halls? Lol.
flamingolover
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ultirian)
Just a question, I have moved into halls and have noticed that people have been coughing and spluttering more and more as the week has progressed, Am I the only one noticing this? Or this normal fare as I have heard of freshers flu and stuff, I am not around many people as a older student and got loads of other stuff on so avoided it so far.

It’s totally happening at my uni. It’s most likely freshers flu plus I saw a news article somewhere about a really bad cold going round so it could be that
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Hello,

Unfortunately, this is totally normal. I could not believe that Fresher's Flu is a real thing but it is and it hits hard. I think it will be even worse this year as we have not had much illness after practicing social distance and suddenly students are in very close quarters. I remember the collective illness in halls as the week went on!

I will be doing more PCRs and wearing a mask wherever possible to try and keep safe!

Lydia
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It’s normal, although I have managed to stay free of it for the entirety of my university life.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah first 2-3 weeks of lectures in 2019 were just constant coughing in the background. If you've not been at pubs or clubs then you're pretty sharply reducing the likelihood of catching anything.
Last edited by Sinnoh; 3 weeks ago
efftee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I'm planning on wearing a mask to my lectures because of the sheer amount of coughing I could hear around me
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
To be fair even pre-covid this was common; the phenomenon known as "freshers flu" is well known, and not surprising when you think about it. Obviously with covid though, everyone is more aware of spotting those symptoms and being concerned about them. After all, it may in fact for some of those people be covid and not just "freshers flu". If they have quite mild covid symptoms they may even simply think their covid is "freshers flu" if they don't bother getting a test. If you wear a mask and avoid crowded events which aren't properly socially distanced, and get vaccinated as soon as possible (if you are not already) then you are doing everything reasonable to protect yourself and mitigate the risk of catching covid I think though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (312)
57.99%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (76)
14.13%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
10.97%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.36%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.83%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.72%

Watched Threads