School/Private Candidate Centres Applications - When do I apply?

Watch
Lwanty
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi,
I'm a private candidate looking to apply to some schools or candidate centres to take my GCSEs this academic year. I was wondering if any other private candidates (past or current) could tell me when the deadline is for applying to schools and centres?
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The deadline is usually in February, but it depends on the centre you're using, and whether there are exceptional circumstances (e.g. pandemic). Check with your chosen exam centre.
Lwanty
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
The deadline is usually in February, but it depends on the centre you're using, and whether there are exceptional circumstances (e.g. pandemic). Check with your chosen exam centre.
Thanks
EOData
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Centres can't make entries until they get the software to do so. This is normally made available in mid November but might be later this year (as the final timetables are normally confirmed the June before but have yet to be confirmed for next Summer).

The entry deadline at the exam board is normally 21 February but centres will set earlier deadlines than that so they have time to check everything before submitting their entries to meet the exam board deadline - the price doubles the following day for most exam boards and centres are expected to make the vast majority of their entries in a single submission, so sending that a day late to a single exam board can easily cost them £40,000.

I'd start looking in December and aim to finalise everything in January. If yo need any form of access arrangements then sorting that out takes time so get your entry in in December if you can.
Last edited by EOData; 2 weeks ago
Lwanty
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by EOData)
Centres can't make entries until they get the software to do so. This is normally made available in mid November but might be later this year (as the final timetables are normally confirmed the June before but have yet to be confirmed for next Summer).

The entry deadline at the exam board is normally 21 February but centres will set earlier deadlines than that so they have time to check everything before submitting their entries to meet the exam board deadline - the price doubles the following day for most exam boards and centers are expected to make the vast majority of their entries in a single submission, so sending that a day late can easily cost you £40,000.

I'd start looking in December and aim to finalise everything in January. If yo need any form of access arrangements then sorting that out takes time so get your entry in in December if you can.
Thank you so much - that's really helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (113)
57.36%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (22)
11.17%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (24)
12.18%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (16)
8.12%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.58%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
5.58%

Watched Threads