sitting january igcse as a gcse student

Watch
pistachio__
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
hiya, im a homeschooled student whos been studying for my GCSEs next year and i want to sit some earlier, in january.
I plan to take english lit, lang, mathematics, biology, chemistry.
however, i didnt know theres only iGCSEs available in Jan and not regular GCSE too.
do you think its smart for me to sit iGCSE exams? are there any major differences in the specification?
id like some opinion on that. thanks
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you're home educated, you really should have studied IGCSE material from the start for English Language, Biology, and Chemistry, because the GCSE exams for these subjects are difficult to complete due to practicals.

Maths is an easy adaptation to IGCSE, and as it's only September you've still got time. You'll need to start focusing on calculus though, as IGCSE has a fairly large focus on calculus whereas GCSE doesn't have calculus.

English Literature it depends which texts you've been studying.

I would suggest you take a look at the IGCSE syllabi for all the subjects and see whether you feel you can feasibly make the adaptations in your learning in time to the IGCSE criteria.

Also, the booking deadline is coming up very soon, so make your decision within a few days at most.
Last edited by PinkMobilePhone; 2 weeks ago
EOData
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The entry deadline at the exam board for January is 21 October, but centres will have earlier deadlines than this so they have time to check everything before they submit.
pistachio__
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
If you're home educated, you really should have studied IGCSE material from the start for English Language, Biology, and Chemistry, because the GCSE exams for these subjects are difficult to complete due to practicals.

Maths is an easy adaptation to IGCSE, and as it's only September you've still got time. You'll need to start focusing on calculus though, as IGCSE has a fairly large focus on calculus whereas GCSE doesn't have calculus.

English Literature it depends which texts you've been studying.

I would suggest you take a look at the IGCSE syllabi for all the subjects and see whether you feel you can feasibly make the adaptations in your learning in time to the IGCSE criteria.

Also, the booking deadline is coming up very soon, so make your decision within a few days at most.
thank u for ur advice!
i discussed with my teachers and parents and we decided itll be eng lang A, maths A and chemistry, since eng lit has many different books and biology has many differences too.
ill make sure to look up on the syllabi and also begin some calculus learning
once again, many thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise