what should i do if i dont know what i am doing during my internship?

Watch
devil.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi guys I am in a weird position right now, so 2-3 weeks ago I successfully got a 12-month internship in sales and business development (unpaid) and it's remote.

Now during my internship ( my intern started last week Monday), I haven't done anything, I haven't been given any training, attend any meetings and I haven't been assigned to a task/project. Also, i do not know the days I am working, the time I start and finish as it hasn't been stated on my employment contract or job letter i received.

honestly, I am in a weird position right now. I have spoken to my manager back and forth through WhatsApp and I don't understand my manager. I am part of a group chat for the sales and business development but there are few members ( 4 ) in the group chat and is not active (the last conversation was me being introduced to the team)

I am working for a small financial service company.

can anyone give a suggestion or advice on what I do?
Whatislife12
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Is it part of a university course?
devil.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Whatislife12)
Is it part of a university course?
yes, I am doing a placement as part of my degree. i am about the start my third year next week
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This was the situation I was in when I started this temp job earlier in the summer. After a while I realised a) I was being employed for my ability to work out what I needed to do and learn how to do it, not for what I previously knew or for them to specifically train me and b) I had to basically signpost to others that I had availability/bandwidth to pick up bits of work from them initially before I ended up on a sort of "project" which is what I do regularly now.

Since it's an unpaid internship they may also not really feel the need to give you work to justify paying you (whereas since I was a temp being paid whether I got given work or not, it made sense for them to find things for me to work on!), so you might need to be a bit more persistent in trying to find work here and there, telling different people you can pick up x or y thing for them if the would like, or asking to be included in meetings. Over time you'll probably find tasks get given to you anyway as well, including some regular ones. In terms of your hours I'd recommend you get in touch with HR to confirm.
Whatislife12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by devil.)
yes, I am doing a placement as part of my degree. i am about the start my third year next week
just try to get through the year somehow so you can get the credits, thats all that matters.
devil.
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
This was the situation I was in when I started this temp job earlier in the summer. After a while I realised a) I was being employed for my ability to work out what I needed to do and learn how to do it, not for what I previously knew or for them to specifically train me and b) I had to basically signpost to others that I had availability/bandwidth to pick up bits of work from them initially before I ended up on a sort of "project" which is what I do regularly now.

Since it's an unpaid internship they may also not really feel the need to give you work to justify paying you (whereas since I was a temp being paid whether I got given work or not, it made sense for them to find things for me to work on!), so you might need to be a bit more persistent in trying to find work here and there, telling different people you can pick up x or y thing for them if the would like, or asking to be included in meetings. Over time you'll probably find tasks get given to you anyway as well, including some regular ones. In terms of your hours I'd recommend you get in touch with HR to confirm.
thank you. In my employment contract as well as the job description, they told me I will get a certificate at the end of my internship, received performance a bonus pay, stocks and a part-time position and many more. i also its a financial service company I am working for so I should receive some kind of tasks, training or even participate in a team meeting, etc. Overall, I just have doubts about the company I am working for.
devil.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Whatislife12)
just try to get through the year somehow so you can get the credits, thats all that matters.
should I contact my placement department about my situation? As far as I am awner my placement department at my uni hasn't received any paperwork from my employer.
Last edited by devil.; 2 weeks ago
Whatislife12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by devil.)
should I contact my placement department about my situation? As far as I am awner my placement department at my uni hasn't received any paperwork from my employer.
yeah its probably best for you to contact your placements team and update them about your situation. Only problem is that if they feel the placement is not appropriate you may need to search again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.93%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.68%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.21%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.47%

Watched Threads