The Student Room Group

Normal uni lows or depression?

Hi, I just started uni, only 3 days ago, so I realise that this may be premature, however, I have diagnosed depression, anxiety and phobic anxiety and am medicated for these illnesses. I am struggling to understand how much of my current depressive feelings and issues with anxiety are natural beginning of uni nerves and problems versus which are more serious examples of my conditions playing up.
I have no sense of whether others are feeling the same degree of mental stress or if I’m in a more precarious situation.
Does anyone have any advice? Any similar experiences? Or perhaps you can simply tell me how you felt/feel when you started university?
Any ideas would be great, thanks.
Hey,
I've been feeling the same emotions and I'm not diagnosed with depression or anxiety. I think its pretty normal to go through all these emotions when starting university as its a new space and your naturally going to be uncomfortable with anything new in life. Just hold on for a littlr longer and keep yourself busy. Go to events that the SU put on, join societies, go out with your housemates ectr. Join a sport and the at least you can participate and keep yourself active. I've been at uni for a week and it still feels weird and super uncomfortable. Just know your not alone:smile:

also i facetime family and friends so that i have a familiar face.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,
I've been feeling the same emotions and I'm not diagnosed with depression or anxiety. I think its pretty normal to go through all these emotions when starting university as its a new space and your naturally going to be uncomfortable with anything new in life. Just hold on for a littlr longer and keep yourself busy. Go to events that the SU put on, join societies, go out with your housemates ectr. Join a sport and the at least you can participate and keep yourself active. I've been at uni for a week and it still feels weird and super uncomfortable. Just know your not alone:smile:

also i facetime family and friends so that i have a familiar face.

Thanks for the response, its nice to know others may be feeling the same. Best of luck to the both of us :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest