The Student Room Group

Demontfort University a good option?

I'm planning on studying pharmacy next year. I live in Leicester, so applying to demonfort uni would be ideal as it saves me a commute. However, I am aware Demontfort isn't the best University. I was wondering if this was still the case for the pharmacy course. and if it would be better if I just applied to Nottingham university instead as they have brilliant teachers and support. However that would mean just over an hour commute everyday. Is it worth it? any advice?
Original post by anonymous9089
I'm planning on studying pharmacy next year. I live in Leicester, so applying to demonfort uni would be ideal as it saves me a commute. However, I am aware Demontfort isn't the best University. I was wondering if this was still the case for the pharmacy course. and if it would be better if I just applied to Nottingham university instead as they have brilliant teachers and support. However that would mean just over an hour commute everyday. Is it worth it? any advice?

Morning,

I’m Alex, a 4th year Pharmacy student at De Montfort University.

I wanted to reply as I had a similar thinking process when I was applying. The rankings for the universities are a good tool but don’t always give the best insight to the programme.

The pharmacy programme is really well designed and has just been updated to match the new standards for pharmacy. I really do love the way the course is done with a combination of lectures and clinical sessions like practicals and patient sessions. Last year pharmacy was awarded TEF Gold award for our excellent quality of teaching.

As for the support you can get on the course, I have never gone without support either from the pharmacy staff or the general university. When I started, I struggled with my biology materials. The lecturer was happy to set up extra sessions to go through the material and now biology is one of my strengths 😊

Hope that gives a bit of insight into what it is like to study pharmacy at De Montfort University 😃
Let me know if there is anything else you want to know

-Alex
Original post by De Montfort University
Morning,

I’m Alex, a 4th year Pharmacy student at De Montfort University.

I wanted to reply as I had a similar thinking process when I was applying. The rankings for the universities are a good tool but don’t always give the best insight to the programme.

The pharmacy programme is really well designed and has just been updated to match the new standards for pharmacy. I really do love the way the course is done with a combination of lectures and clinical sessions like practicals and patient sessions. Last year pharmacy was awarded TEF Gold award for our excellent quality of teaching.

As for the support you can get on the course, I have never gone without support either from the pharmacy staff or the general university. When I started, I struggled with my biology materials. The lecturer was happy to set up extra sessions to go through the material and now biology is one of my strengths 😊

Hope that gives a bit of insight into what it is like to study pharmacy at De Montfort University 😃
Let me know if there is anything else you want to know

-Alex

oh cool! I wasn't too sure how their teaching would be, but sounds good. I'm currently taking a gap year and will apply for pharmacy next year, and I really want to get a head start on the course. what did you learn in your 1st of pharmacy and what were your exams on? are there any books or notes you'd recommend I read up on?

thanks x
oh cool! I wasn't too sure how their teaching would be, but sounds good. I'm currently taking a gap year and will apply for pharmacy next year, and I really want to get a head start on the course. what did you learn in your 1st of pharmacy and what were your exams on? are there any books or notes you'd recommend I read up on?

thanks x

Hey,
That’s great you are looking in advance as it is always good to be prepared. I wouldn’t worry about learning everything in a lot of detail as there is plenty of time throughout the year.
The first year is in two modules; one on conditions relating to eye, ear, skin and nose. These tend to be ‘simple’ conditions and good for starting to incorporate pharmacy knowledge including chemistry and biology. The other module is Gastrointestinal and nutrition. This module is covered in 1st year as the GI system has a huge influence in how medicines work regardless of the condition they are used for.

In terms of what I looked over before starting, the best advice I can give is don’t try and learn conditions but get familiar with biology topics, mainly cell cycles and living organisms. Biology was one of my weaker points but everyone spends the first weeks getting to the same knowledge level.
The best thing before you start pharmacy is to make sure you have a okay understanding of basic chemistry and biology, you aren’t expected to be an expert as I definitely wasn’t but it will get you off to a good start

Hope that helps with giving you some ideas on what you can look into

-Alex
Original post by De Montfort University
Hey,
That’s great you are looking in advance as it is always good to be prepared. I wouldn’t worry about learning everything in a lot of detail as there is plenty of time throughout the year.
The first year is in two modules; one on conditions relating to eye, ear, skin and nose. These tend to be ‘simple’ conditions and good for starting to incorporate pharmacy knowledge including chemistry and biology. The other module is Gastrointestinal and nutrition. This module is covered in 1st year as the GI system has a huge influence in how medicines work regardless of the condition they are used for.

In terms of what I looked over before starting, the best advice I can give is don’t try and learn conditions but get familiar with biology topics, mainly cell cycles and living organisms. Biology was one of my weaker points but everyone spends the first weeks getting to the same knowledge level.
The best thing before you start pharmacy is to make sure you have a okay understanding of basic chemistry and biology, you aren’t expected to be an expert as I definitely wasn’t but it will get you off to a good start

Hope that helps with giving you some ideas on what you can look into

-Alex

Thanks Alex that was really helpful! Is there also a lot of organic chemistry and math calculations? These aren't my strong suits, would you recommend anything to brush up on them?

Thanks x
Thanks Alex that was really helpful! Is there also a lot of organic chemistry and math calculations? These aren't my strong suits, would you recommend anything to brush up on them?

Thanks x

Each year there is a bit of chemistry looking at drug molecules in a group of medicines (e.g. cardiac drugs that have a similar structure). We have sessions that go through it step by step and lots of drop in sessions with the chemistry lecturers. I would suggest having a look at basic chemistry structure and get a bit of understanding around functional groups as that is the important part of the molecule that leads to medicines working.

As for maths, each year we do have a smaller maths exam (1 hour). There are so many preparation sessions that go through the type of questions, different ways of attempting to answer it and general advice on how to succeed at the assessment.
In 1st year, the maths isn’t complicated and is more about introducing you to some of the calculations you come across in pharmacy. This includes topics like counting amount of tablets, changing dose between units.

-Alex
Reply 6
Hii did you end up choosing DMU for Mpharm? I am so confused whether it’s worth it or not , but I have an option between hertfordshire and Dmu, what do you think is the best? I dont know much about the area of both as I am an international student.

Thanks x
Original post by Immy.t
Hii did you end up choosing DMU for Mpharm? I am so confused whether it’s worth it or not , but I have an option between hertfordshire and Dmu, what do you think is the best? I dont know much about the area of both as I am an international student.

DMU is near the centre of the UK and the city of Leicester. There is a large Asian community, of many Hindus and Sikhs, a quite large, diverse, multi-racial community with lots of diversity.
Herts is more in the south, closer to London, and a more affluent area. If you would like to be near to London life then this is the one to go for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending