A Study of the Industries - Elsie's GYG (A First Year's POV of Uni)

Watch
elsiehxo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone! I'm Elsie, I've just started at Herts Uni (the University of Hertfordshire, to be more correct and respectfully call it by its full name), and I'm studying Music Industry Management (or as my lecturers call it, MiM).

I'm in a flat of 8, and have so far become pretty good friends with 4 of them; I'm quite ambiverted: I'm not too good at approaching people but once I become friends with them, I become quite loud and hyper which is what's happened with my flatmates so far. Two of my flatmates don't ever really leave their rooms, and one of them is pretty extroverted and has his girlfriend or mates around a lot so we don't talk to him too much.

I started my induction classes yesterday: the lecturers went over how our course is laid out in class yesterday and then this morning we went over how to use our online portals and I ended up going to (brand) coffee shop to hang out with two of my new classmates afterwards which was really nice! My course is pretty small, there's about 18-20 of us I think, so I'm hoping we're all going to be good friends.

A little ramble about my day: I went to class, went to (brand name) coffee shop, collected a home package (a new waterbottle, my new popsocket, a new padlock for my food cupboard if i can be bothered to use it, and some cookies that my sister baked as a little home comfort) from the "Oval" on the green and then went to get lunch in the kitchen. One of my flatmates had left the TV on in the kitchen which was showing the office so I watched the Office whilst I ate and now I'm back in my room hoping my flatmates finish their classes soon or I'm going to be bored out of my mind...

I'm gonna try and stick to updating this GYG every day, even if it's just a little ramble on how my day went
Last edited by elsiehxo; 3 weeks ago
elsiehxo
Rep:
?
Why does my room only have a fixed head shower; I already miss the non-fixed head shower at home
flaurie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
good luck for this year! :grin:
elsiehxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by flaurie)
good luck for this year! :grin:
thank you!! <3
elsiehxo
Rep:
?
I forgot to add what modules I was doing oops:

- Marketing for the Music Business
- The Live Music Sector
- The Business of Music
- Music Industry Framework

Somehow, writing it all out makes it all seem a little bit more "official". I've had my ID card since Saturday afternoon but the fact that I'm now a proper student at university hasn't properly kicked in yet; it's almost like my brain is still in that process of "oh you're just here for a bit, it's not too long"

It started getting dark outside as I was typing and I've just looked out of my window to the rain again.... Woke up yesterday morning to rain and am very glad I got to and from my class this morning in the dry (just about)
elsiehxo
Rep:
?
just spent 6 hours watching what Mum and Dad would call "trash" TV shows with the flatmates because we were going to go roller skating (freshers event being run by the student union) but it got cancelled because the rain started coming down pretty heavily about an hour before it was due to start. Oh and not to mention that the fire alarm got set off again yesterday evening after going off at 2 yesterday morning.. Turns out the RAs know exactly which room the alarm gets triggered by so they're able to talk to whoever is in that room as to why the alarm went off. But as Dad pointed out (I'm in regular whatsapp contact with my family, as well as using it for my accommodation court's gc), it's freshers week and stuff like the fire alarm going off multiple times is always going to happen. I'm now chilling out in my room watching a twitch stream before i head to bed since i'm pretty tired but i have no classes tomorrow so i'm looking forward to at least a little bit of a lie-in. Hope everyone's had a good night!
elsiehxo
Rep:
?
went to bed at nearly 3am, woke up at about 10:15 (i have no classes today, luckily) and am now watching TV again with a couple of my flatmates who also don't have classes. One of the flatmates I was hanging out with yesterday is at work (she's got a job at Spoons), one of them's in f2f class today and i haven't seen three of the others yet today but that's expected. I've done a bit of an adult thing in that i'm sorting out financial stuff whilst at uni and i got the login for one of those this morning so i've sorted that out!
elsiehxo
Rep:
?
Today has been a lazy day; I've had no classes so I woke up late, watched TV until about half 12 at which point flatmate K came home from his morning class, and we headed to ASDA as all of us needed to pick up food and stuff like notebooks (me), cooking stuff like new pans (K), new cooking utensils (A), and all of us needed food. K had an afternoon class, during which me, L and A headed down to our laundry room to work out how doing laundry works. doing laundry at uni is just plain daylight robbery!! £3.80 for a wash and £1.80 for a tumble dry spin! I think this evening will be our "regular" ramble around our area after we've all eaten dinner. My Friday Zoom talk got postponed so I'm quite looking forward to having a lie-in on friday morning
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by elsiehxo)
Why does my room only have a fixed head shower; I already miss the non-fixed head shower at home
I had the same issue. The only reason I can think of is that having the shower on the end of a hose greatly adds to possibility of mischief.
elsiehxo
Rep:
?
I had a zoom class thing this morning and I think out of around 18 people in my class, only 11 turned up? I do quite a small course, so hopefully it won't take too long to get to know everyone. My course leader said she's starting us on our first assignment on Monday (when I have my first lectures) which to my sleep-deprived brain, feels very early but it also makes sense as next Monday is October... I'm excited to start lectures; we get to start talking and contract laws which is something I find pretty interesting so that should be fun!
elsiehxo
Rep:
?
it is 2:25am so good morning, happy october and goodnight! I went out to what would probably be considered our on campus pub for karaoke night with K, L and A and met some of L's course friends who all seem pretty nice and fun to hang out with; i think we're planning on going again next week if we're able to. we've settled into some pretty nice sort of "traditions" i guess you could say; we're 18/19 year olds who make sure we watch tracy beaker at 8pm in the kitchen together but it's going to be interesting to see how things change over the next few weeks when lectures start on monday.

i had vodka (and enjoyed it) properly for the first time tonight. it was only a little splash but add some apple and blackcurrant squash and it becomes a pretty quick way to enjoy some alcohol. i'm enjoying uni so far which is good because i suddenly got very nervous and anxious about it on move-in day but i'm really lucky that my friends aren't the type to pressure me into drinking or going out and being social, but i'm finding that i'm actually a lot more sociable than i ever thought i was. and for someone who got pretty dependent on twitch streams during lockdown to give me something to enjoy, i'm now able to miss streams and not get FOMO anymore, and i've stopped using twitter as much as i used to because i'm spending time with IRLs for the first time (properly) since we went into lockdown.

this is a bit soppy this one, but i'm excited for uni, and i'm excited to get to know more people around me
elsiehxo
Rep:
?
this GYG thing has become a sort of blog for me: lectures begin on Monday so i'll start talking about how i study and take notes during the weekend when i properly go through the reading things that my lecturer set for me during Thursday's induction zoom class.

K, A, L and I went to our Freshers Fair today: lots of freebies and £1 Domino's mini pizzas so we headed down to our local to go and grab those, along with most other students from uni. Came back to the flat, had a bit of me time to catch up with some friends I haven't talked to in a bit, caught up with my sister. I bought two Studio Ghibli Totoro posters at the pop up poster gallery in the Forum and have stuck them up either side of my desk, just to add a bit of color to the room (i have yet to put my fairy lights up..)

We're watching Gogglebox now and i've just had last night's episode of Ambulance spoilt for me oops. Hope everyone's having a good night!
elsiehxo
Rep:
?
Had a bit to drink last night (it was quite fun), went out clubbing until about 1:30 this morning, didn't go to bed until 4am but it was worth it and quite a lot of fun. Have learnt what my friends and I are like when we're a bit drunk but I've woken up with a really sore throat from yelling along to songs (and the drinks probably didn't help either), but everyone's up and awake (albeit, earlier than some of us wanted to be awake) and are in the process of either making or eating breakfast.
elsiehxo
Rep:
?
I'm a bit more awake now than I was this morning; I still have a bit of a sore throat though. Last night was a lot of fun, but I need to remind myself that I can't drink on the 29th when we go out for Halloween because I have a train to catch pretty early the next morning.. I've just helped flatmate L set up her printer (our wifi here is a bit weird in that you have to log back into it every time you turn your phone/laptop/pc off and then on again) but we've got it set up and working. I made myself wraps for lunch/dinner but I still have a bit of a sore throat (make sure you drink water when you go out with mates to a club..).

I start lectures tomorrow! I'm excited to see what kind of stuff we start with, and I'm excited to see if I'll actually come up with a good study schedule but I'll keep updating this thread and we'll see how I get on this year
elsiehxo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I started lectures today!! Or at least, that's supposedly what we started today? My main lecturer got pinged as a T&T contact over the weekend and is showing symptoms so she's self-isolating until she gets her PCR test results back so we spent two hours walking around our two campuses as a sort of orientation course, as a mini assignment to prove that we knew where all of the buildings that are important to our course are. It was fun, it was a good bonding activity for my class (or at least for the two groups of 4 of us [8 of us altogether] that stuck together and went across to the other campus together).

We did a mini introduction to the industries with one of the other lecturers on the course today which was a lot of fun but as always, when you're starting with a whole bunch of new people, no-one wants to be shouting out answers in case you make yourself look stupid; it was really interesting and actually, I found that a lot of the big music labels are looking for people interested in data which is something I absolutely love, even as someone who detested maths at GCSE standard. I think I might spend some time looking into data analysis of music labels and other music stats during my independent study days this week (not Wednesday though, that's my washing day and potentially running down to ASDA or Co-op day), because it's something I'm pretty interested in and would love to somehow get into that sector of the music industries!
elsiehxo
Rep:
?
I had one lecture yesterday (my second one got cancelled as my lecturer isn't on campus this week) but the other update is that me and the three flatmates i'm close with have all come down with freshers flu; I've mostly just got a blocked nose which has led to a bit of a cough but A came down with it pretty heavy and K wasn't feeling too well last night. L's out at work until 1, I think A might be at a lecture and K is still sleeping; today is laundry day but I'm waiting until K wakes up because we're gonna go down to the laundrette's a couple minutes walk down the road as the on-campus tumble dryers are rubbish.

My lecturer M set us on starting our first assessment yesterday, so I've spent a little bit of time starting to think about that and the sources that I can use as evidence; we're going to go over Harvard Referencing in class next week but so far I've come up with a little list of everything I can remember that was used in the marketing of the product I'm going to be researching. Being part of stan twitter comes in useful sometimes, you know?
elsiehxo
Rep:
?
Turns out the laundrette down the road is closed on Wednesdays so K, L and I went down there together whilst A was in a lecture, and got all of our clothes dried; my jeans and a hoodie are on my washing line in the bathroom having come out slightly damp (I didn't want to put them away damp and them get all musty) but other than that everything dried a lot quicker than they would on campus, only slightly more expensive than circuit laundry is...

I applied for two jobs this morning! I think it's going to take a while to hear back from either of them but hopefully I might be able to get a job in the next few weeks, all things going well. Would mean I can 1. fund my alcohol intake (rare but we share vodka in this flat), and 2. would be able to fund going to parties and things like that..

I spent an hour on the phone with my younger sibling today! We're pretty close and teams for a tournament that we both enjoy got announced today so we spent a while on the phone discussing those teams whilst they were repotting a couple of their plants (i think she has 60+ houseplants in her bedroom?), which was pretty nice since at home we'd be sat in my room talking so it's nice to just have some me time to be able to catch up with her and the rest of my family. I'm going to see my family at the end of October because they're going up to my grandparents' place for October half term, as where we'd go usually (a HPB place in the UK, randomly selected during the course of the year) are all booked up because of people learning what "stay-cations" are. So I'm not getting drunk on the Friday evening for the Halloween party, and then getting a train up early on the Saturday morning via London Kings Cross (i've never been before having lived in London for 18 years, I might have a couple minutes to find the trolley at 9&3/4) and going to stay overnight and then get dropped at Uni the next day.

Uni's going well so far, I'm enjoying it! Apart from the obvious Circuit Laundry ripoffs and the expensive alcohol at the bars and clubs, it's been fun so far
elsiehxo
Rep:
?
Today has been DULL. Friday is the one day that all of my friends have lectures and I have none (although, thinking about this, I could've gone out with a couple of the girls from my course but it didn't even cross my mind...)

I think I'm going to start using Fridays as my day for going out on a cycle ride: Wednesdays flatmate K has no lectures and Thursdays seem to be the day when we do our laundry (this seems like the only people that I hang out with are my flatmates, and at the moment, you'd be correct) so I'm going to start taking Fridays as my "exploring Hertfordshire and the countryside around it" day because I have my bike with me at Uni and it's just quite nice to actually get out of the flat.

I applied for two more jobs this morning, heard back from one of the applications from yesterday (a rejection but fortunately I had googled this company and was expecting it...) but as long as I'm able to apply for places and potentially get one of them, that would be quite nice.

Flatmates K and R are both going home this weekend, K's already gone so it's going to be kinda quiet here during the weekend as flatmate L has a shift at her job tomorrow afternoon, but I think A and I (or at least I am) are going to watch the football tomorrow in the kitchen which should be fun; tomorrow is my "pick up a couple things from the shops" day because I need milk, pasta, tuna and some cleaning stuff so I'm going to make sure I leave the flat to do that.

I'm gonna spend some time catching up with some online friends tonight who I haven't really talked to since I got to uni because whenever they're in VC, they're usually playing games like Valorant that I can't run on my laptop so I tend to avoid VCs...

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day but for now, this is me signing off!
elsiehxo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
In our lecture this morning we went over study skills and how we can help ourselves prepare for assessments, and what kind of things don't help.

I know I struggle with procrastination but I've told myself that I'm not going let my work go until the last minute; I have three individual study days a week for a reason, and I'm going to make use of them because otherwise I'm going to sit in my room and do nothing. I also struggle with revision, but I think some of the ways that Maria, my lecturer, suggested that we revise are going to help a lot.

I've worked out that I'm actually a lot more social and confident than I ever really was aware of being, and that I'm not particularly anxious or scared of speaking up in class; being thrown into something new that I was very anxious about seems to have given me some weird confidence boost.

Anyway I digress.. We're getting started on our assessments for Marketing tomorrow morning after we've been to a guest speaker thing with the Level 5 MIM students so I'm excited to actually have some proper work to do because I feel like I've not had much to do and I know that's part of freshers week and the first week of term when you're still settling in but having something productive to do is going to help a lot!
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
I had the same issue. The only reason I can think of is that having the shower on the end of a hose greatly adds to possibility of mischief.
You’re not wrong
Last year one of my flatmates went to a small house party, the accomm they went to had shared bathrooms so basically anyone could go in. I recall they confessed to drunkenly unscrewing some part of the shower and bringing it back to our accommodation :rolleyes: :facepalm: they thought it was hilarious when they couldn’t remember what in the plumbing they’d bought back with them the next day when they woke up :eek4:
Last edited by Chronoscope; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (310)
57.84%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (76)
14.18%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.01%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.4%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.85%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.73%

Watched Threads