The Student Room Group

tips to write analytically and critically at university level

i am heading into my second year of university studying international relations and politics and I would really like to up my essay game by achieving a 1st or a very high 2:1 on a consistent bases. does anyone have any tips on always writing analytically and critically?
There are dozens of books in the library that can help you. Have a look at this guide from the OU on critical thinking.
Reply 2
Original post by mike23mike
There are dozens of books in the library that can help you. Have a look at this guide from the OU on critical thinking.

thank you
Check this out! General Essay Writing Tips
Original post by hemdinho
i am heading into my second year of university studying international relations and politics and I would really like to up my essay game by achieving a 1st or a very high 2:1 on a consistent bases. does anyone have any tips on always writing analytically and critically?

Hi there,

I hope you're okay, and I hope your second year of University goes really well :smile:

Something that we are always advised to do is try and balance the positives of somethings, and the drawbacks of something, and come to a conclusion which considers 'both sides of the coin'. We also have really useful workshops where we can attend and learn about how to get the top marks in our essays, it might be a good idea to see if your university does this too! :smile: Ours are conducted in the library, so that might be a good place to start to see if your university does the same.

I hope that's helpful :biggrin:

Ana :smile:
University of Liverpool Rep.
Reply 5
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there,

I hope you're okay, and I hope your second year of University goes really well :smile:

Something that we are always advised to do is try and balance the positives of somethings, and the drawbacks of something, and come to a conclusion which considers 'both sides of the coin'. We also have really useful workshops where we can attend and learn about how to get the top marks in our essays, it might be a good idea to see if your university does this too! :smile: Ours are conducted in the library, so that might be a good place to start to see if your university does the same.

I hope that's helpful :biggrin:

Ana :smile:

Thanks for the advice 😃
Original post by hemdinho
Thanks for the advice 😃

You're very welcome :smile:

Ana
I was recommended "They Say, I Say: The Moves that Matter in Academic Writing", so that might be worth looking at?

I'll confess I've not gotten around to looking at it myself though :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending