How important is matriculation? (Durham)

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey, super weird question but to anyone who knows the matriculation process, how important is it? I'm meant to have mine tomorrow and I have a few concerns.

Firstly, I've gone way too formal with my dress, and it's the same dress I need for formals, my first of which is Thursday (so, the day after matriculation). Secondly, I have an appointment about possibly changing subjects at 1:30pm and I'm worried about missing it. The third reason sounds really stupid, but basically back in year 11 whenever we'd walk up this steep hill I'd always be trailing behind (I don't mind walking flat surfaces but for some reason I've always struggled with hills). This really embarrassed me because I'd be all sweaty and I am overweight so I figure I just looked silly. I'm on a hill college and I don't want this to happen on the walk back.

So, opinions? Do the pros outweigh the cons? Is it something I really must go to? Any help is appreciated!
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't know about matriculation at Durham, but I would say you generally regret NOT doing things rather than doing them - it would be a real shame to miss a rite of passage due to concerns over what you're wearing...

As for the walk back - you could always drop right back so that no one witnesses you struggling up the hill.

And look on the bright side - the more you you walk up and down that hill, the fitter you'll get and you won't need to worry about lagging behind!

Go to matriculation, and don't worry - enjoy it!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
I don't know about matriculation at Durham, but I would say you generally regret NOT doing things rather than doing them - it would be a real shame to miss a rite of passage due to concerns over what you're wearing...

As for the walk back - you could always drop right back so that no one witnesses you struggling up the hill.

And look on the bright side - the more you you walk up and down that hill, the fitter you'll get and you won't need to worry about lagging behind!

Go to matriculation, and don't worry - enjoy it!
Thank you so much for this! It's a really good perspective and I appreciate the support.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you so much for this! It's a really good perspective and I appreciate the support.
You're welcome. Relax, and enjoy yourself!
Anonymous #1
They just woke us up through like 20 minutes of noise pollution and I'm actually too tired for this haha. I get I'll probably regret not going but every part of me just wants to go back to sleep lol
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They just woke us up through like 20 minutes of noise pollution and I'm actually too tired for this haha. I get I'll probably regret not going but every part of me just wants to go back to sleep lol
I can guess which college you're from from that, not a great fan of that tradition But if you are awake still then do go, much as it's not in the cathedral this year it's still an important part of starting Durham :yep: You should be back in enough time for a 1:30 meeting, and worst case scenario you can go to your meeting in your dress, they will 100% understand (and I guarantee lots of people will be walking round Freshers fair in similar so if you can go to that in formal wear you can definitely go to a meeting!)
Relate with the hills, wear sensible footwear if possible (I wore boots under a long dress) and don't worry about getting behind, I'm sure you won't be the only one and the freps will look after anyone behind
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
How did it go ?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Lemur14)
I can guess which college you're from from that, not a great fan of that tradition But if you are awake still then do go, much as it's not in the cathedral this year it's still an important part of starting Durham :yep: You should be back in enough time for a 1:30 meeting, and worst case scenario you can go to your meeting in your dress, they will 100% understand (and I guarantee lots of people will be walking round Freshers fair in similar so if you can go to that in formal wear you can definitely go to a meeting!)
Relate with the hills, wear sensible footwear if possible (I wore boots under a long dress) and don't worry about getting behind, I'm sure you won't be the only one and the freps will look after anyone behind
I really appreciate this! Sorry I didn't have time to respond before but I did go. Location was a little disappointing because of not being able to go to the cathedral obviously but it was okay, and nice to have been a part of it. Also a good bonding opportunity with some people I'm getting to know. I also wore boots! Luckily I actually didn't find the walk bad at all; I think I went up a different hill when I walked last time because the route we took was fairly gentle.

I did go to the meeting in the dress but luckily I caught it!
Anonymous #1
How did it go ?
Not bad thank you! Wasn't like an incredible ceremony in my opinion really but it was nice enough and it's good to see what it's all about. I gave a slightly more detailed answer above.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (319)
57.27%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (77)
13.82%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (63)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (49)
8.8%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
5.03%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.77%

Watched Threads