SpaceLover29
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am in 2nd year of a 4 year undergraduate degree in Scotland (hence the extra year). I would like to apply to PGCEs in England for maths but I have a few questions.

Firstly, how much experience do I need and what sort of experience does this need to be? I haven't done anything with children and teenages since leaving school and with Covid, I'm not sure how open schools are at the moment.

Secondly, will it matter if I get experience in schools Scotland for PGCEs in England? I know how the England education system works by going through it, but I know there will be some things that I won't know about due to never being a teacher.
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Some schools are not taking volunteers right now but some are. Gaining experience in Scotland is absolutely fine. For maths applications, it doesn't really matter whether you have recent school experience but it may help you feel more confident this is the right path for you.
SpaceLover29
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr M)
Some schools are not taking volunteers right now but some are. Gaining experience in Scotland is absolutely fine. For maths applications, it doesn't really matter whether you have recent school experience but it may help you feel more confident this is the right path for you.
Thank you. I know that maths PGCE courses are less competitive which is why I'm not desperately going around trying to get experience with children and teenages right now, especially when I'm not even halfway through uni yet. I'm in St Andrews so not many choices of schools nearby but hopefully, the nearby one accepts other people when I do decide I need the experience.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SpaceLover29)
I am in 2nd year of a 4 year undergraduate degree in Scotland (hence the extra year). I would like to apply to PGCEs in England for maths but I have a few questions.

Firstly, how much experience do I need and what sort of experience does this need to be? I haven't done anything with children and teenages since leaving school and with Covid, I'm not sure how open schools are at the moment.

Secondly, will it matter if I get experience in schools Scotland for PGCEs in England? I know how the England education system works by going through it, but I know there will be some things that I won't know about due to never being a teacher.
I would try to get some experience with teenagers, whether in school or out of it (e.g. guides/scouts, sports club, youth group etc), just so you know if the job is for you. But it's not a requirement anymore, and if you have a maths degree you'll get onto a PGCE.
SpaceLover29
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
I would try to get some experience with teenagers, whether in school or out of it (e.g. guides/scouts, sports club, youth group etc), just so you know if the job is for you. But it's not a requirement anymore, and if you have a maths degree you'll get onto a PGCE.
Id rather stay away from the scouts. I was a member and I had some issues with how it was run (I know not all scout groups are the same). I did sometimes help out with running some nights so I do have some experience, although it wasnt that often and it was a few years ago so not very helpful.

I will certainly try to get experience in a school and will likely focus on getting the experience in third year. It seems more likely Covid won't be impacting things as much and is also closer to when I have to make the decision.
Last edited by SpaceLover29; 3 weeks ago
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SpaceLover29)
Id rather stay away from the scouts. I was a member and I had some issues with how it was run (I know not all scout groups are the same). I did sometimes help out with running some nights so I do have some experience, although it wasnt that often and it was a few years ago so not very helpful.

I will certainly try to get experience in a school and will likely focus on getting the experience in third year. It seems more likely Covid won't be impacting things as much and is also closer to when I have to make the decision.
It doesn't have to be the scouts, the point is to find out if you enjoy interacting with teenagers (or whatever age group you want to teach). Going into a school for a week or so is great for seeing how a school functions, and you will get a lot out of it. But regular volunteering with a group helps you build relationships and find out if you enjoy regularly interacting with that age group (and builds your experience in doing so).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (313)
57.86%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (76)
14.05%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (61)
11.28%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.32%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.81%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.7%

Watched Threads