The Student Room Group

Advice please about A level

Hi, I really need some advice
I’m currently doing
Biology , chemistry, maths , physics
A levels
However I am finding maths A level too difficult and I am interested in architecture as a career. I used to be interested in medicine but I’m not as interested anymore.
Therefore I wasn’t sure if I should pick up a creative subject A level .

Currently im thinking of either
‘Biology , Chemistry, Physics
Though I don’t know if that might be too narrow
Or
‘Biology (Physics or Chemistry) and Product design

But im not sure if product design may be limiting if I change career path , as well as that it is probably not very ‘academic’

Please help me ! Thank you :smile:
[For reference for GCSE I got 5x9s (bio, chem , geog, french, dt) 3x8s (maths, physics , re ) and 7 and 6 in English Lang and lit . ]
Reply 1
I hope this will help - the ideal a levels for architecture are:
maths, physics, art, an essay subject
Art is better than product design, but either will be very helpful and it will be hard to get into a good uni without one of the two. If you can, definitely do physics. Maths is good, but if you hate it obviously it's better to drop it - just keep in mind that at this stage all a level students struggle a lot, and feel they made the wrong decisions. Chemistry is good I think. Biology is not, but if you really enjoy it go for it. An essay subject is also liked by some unis, but in no way essential.
Good day.
Wow, well done for managing 4 a levels, it shows that you have the capability in going far. The problem in dropping maths is that it will lower your maths skills for physics. Maths and physics highly highly complement each other. If you do drop maths, and you want to pursue a career in architecture, would dropping a grade in physics put you at a disadvantage? Perhaps you could drop bio or chem as they don't have much of a link to architecture, but its all down to you. :wink:
Reply 3
Thank you so much for the advice 😁 its really helpful and helping me sort my self out ! would you guys recommend 3 or 4 a levels ?
(Original post by tigercatlion)
Thank you so much for the advice 😁 its really helpful and helping me sort my self out ! would you guys recommend 3 or 4 a levels ?

its really up to you, but from what i've seen, its better if you get high grades in 3 of your subjects (e.g AAA), than to get three high grades and 1 low grade as it won't look good on your application (e.g AAAC). I suggest that if you drop your 4th subject, you use that spare time to improve on your 3 subjects. The workload is immense for a level ( i do bio, chem, physics and AS maths), so just focus and work had :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending