Will my degree get me the job I want?

Watch
Ivyreign
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I always thought I wanted to be a barrister and I’ve just started my 1st year of law, however I’ve been thinking for a while now it’s not want I want. I want to join the police and after my two years service I want to be a detective and progress through, Sargent and so on. I do however need a degree. Online it says

‘bachelor's (four-year) degree in criminal justice, psychology, criminology, sociology, or a related field.’

No where I read does it say a law degree counts but you’d think it would come under relate field but I’d just like to know for certain. Does anyone else know?
JessJJ
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Someone I worked with went on to become a detective. She worked evenings and weekends as an officer and had a degree in criminology. Hope that helps
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ivyreign)
I always thought I wanted to be a barrister and I’ve just started my 1st year of law, however I’ve been thinking for a while now it’s not want I want. I want to join the police and after my two years service I want to be a detective and progress through, Sargent and so on. I do however need a degree. Online it says

‘bachelor's (four-year) degree in criminal justice, psychology, criminology, sociology, or a related field.’

No where I read does it say a law degree counts but you’d think it would come under relate field but I’d just like to know for certain. Does anyone else know?
I think you have possibly read from an American website. Here, any degree is suitable for becoming a police officer, and certainly law will have some advantages.

You no longer need to serve two years probation to be a detective, you can apply directly into the detective programme (depending upon the force you are joining), or join as a constable and take the detective exams more or less straight away.
Ivyreign
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I do believe you need a degree to become a detective otherwise the process takes longer. I didn’t know you no longer have to serve as an officer, thanks. Law should be suitable I can’t see how it can’t.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (124)
87.32%
No (18)
12.68%

Watched Threads