theredsaint
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Yes, another one of these questions!

I am a 4th year student at the University of Edinburgh. Cambridge is home to many academics I would love to have as my supervisor, as I feel my research aligns well with their interests. I have prepared a list and I'm thinking about reaching out soon to see if any of them would be willing to take me on...

I'm in the humanities. I think I will have some strong recommendation letters as I've worked closely with the head of one of my departments and worked alongside some other professors on my programme that I've really admired.

The thing I'm most worried about is the 2.i entry barrier. I see the number 67 brought up often. My best guess is that I will graduate with a 65, with special thanks to one class I had a particularly rough time in last year. However, I'm planning on applying for postgrad by January, obviously before graduating from my undergrad.

Any advice about the process or just any general thoughts would be much appreciated.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by theredsaint)
Yes, another one of these questions!

I am a 4th year student at the University of Edinburgh. Cambridge is home to many academics I would love to have as my supervisor, as I feel my research aligns well with their interests. I have prepared a list and I'm thinking about reaching out soon to see if any of them would be willing to take me on...

I'm in the humanities. I think I will have some strong recommendation letters as I've worked closely with the head of one of my departments and worked alongside some other professors on my programme that I've really admired.

The thing I'm most worried about is the 2.i entry barrier. I see the number 67 brought up often. My best guess is that I will graduate with a 65, with special thanks to one class I had a particularly rough time in last year. However, I'm planning on applying for postgrad by January, obviously before graduating from my undergrad.

Any advice about the process or just any general thoughts would be much appreciated.
The 67 is usually the PhD boundary, and can sometimes be the 'High 2.1' boundary for Masters. However, very often a Masters offer is just 2.1. 65 with all the rest you've got is still very much worth making an application.
theredsaint
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
The 67 is usually the PhD boundary, and can sometimes be the 'High 2.1' boundary for Masters. However, very often a Masters offer is just 2.1. 65 with all the rest you've got is still very much worth making an application.
Thank you for saying that. I've been tying myself in knots worrying that I've missed the mark!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (189)
55.75%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (47)
13.86%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (38)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (31)
9.14%
I haven't started researching yet (19)
5.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.42%

Watched Threads