The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College application

The requirements to enter are A*A*A but I am predicted only A*AA. Is there still a chance I will get offered? And if I apply there, does doing an MAT test help increase my chances.
Reply 1
what are you applying for?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Cs115
what are you applying for?

Computing course
Reply 3
i dont think they require the MAT. It would be hard to get in even w 4a*s let alone a*aa but I guess you could give it ago as you never know. i think I read the acceptance rate was like 1/18 or smth though so it is extremely competitive. do you do further maths?
Original post by Cs115
i dont think they require the MAT. It would be hard to get in even w 4a*s let alone a*aa but I guess you could give it ago as you never know. i think I read the acceptance rate was like 1/18 or smth though so it is extremely competitive. do you do further maths?

Yes, I do. Predicted A* Maths, A FurtherMaths, A computing, B physics.
Original post by StudentJon.
Yes, I do. Predicted A* Maths, A FurtherMaths, A computing, B physics.

I'd recommend dropping physics (as it's your weakest subject and you only need 3 A-levels to meet their offer/apply) and focusing on trying to pull up the FM prediction to an A* before the January deadline. Since the MAT isn't required it won't be considered as far as I'm aware...
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
I'd recommend dropping physics (as it's your weakest subject and you only need 3 A-levels to meet their offer/apply) and focusing on trying to pull up the FM prediction to an A* before the January deadline. Since the MAT isn't required it won't be considered as far as I'm aware...

Well, my school doesnt allow me to take 3 subjects 2 of which are maths, so I can't drop Physics. And I've spoken to them and its unlikely my predicted grades will go up. Is there anything I can do like a test that can increase my chances?

Also, do you know what the IOT (institution's own test) is about?
The requirements to enter are A*A*A but I am predicted only A*AA. Is there still a chance I will get offered? And if I apply there, does doing an MAT test help increase my chances.

Hi there,

I'm Ben and I'm a 5th Year student at Imperial. The best person to contact is the computing departments admissions office as they will be able to give you specific information.
Their email address can be found here:
[email protected]

I hope this helps,

Ben
Original post by Cs115

Hi there,

With regards to if the MAT is required for computing, this does not form part of the admissions process as for computing there is a seperate online admissions test. As outlined on the Imperial website, the online admission test involves the following:

" Applicants demonstrating sufficient potential will be invited to complete an online admissions test, which will test their logical, reasoning and problem-solving skills. No prior preparation is required for the test. The test will include a practice session, and should not take more than 90 minutes. "

More information about computing admissions can be found here:
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/prospective-students/ug/

I hope this helps,

Ben
Well, my school doesnt allow me to take 3 subjects 2 of which are maths, so I can't drop Physics. And I've spoken to them and its unlikely my predicted grades will go up. Is there anything I can do like a test that can increase my chances?

Also, do you know what the IOT (institution's own test) is about?

Don't know what their own test is about so can't advise :s-smilie:

Note that it is in theory possible to still be considered for an offer with less than the standard offer predicted, although you will probably not be the most competitive applicant. Do note though if you are made an offer it will probably be the standard offer of A*A*A.
Original post by artful_lounger
Don't know what their own test is about so can't advise :s-smilie:

Note that it is in theory possible to still be considered for an offer with less than the standard offer predicted, although you will probably not be the most competitive applicant. Do note though if you are made an offer it will probably be the standard offer of A*A*A.

Ok thanks, I'm perfectly fine with the standard offer anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending