The Student Room Group

"Legal Advice Clinic" - is it worth it?

Hi everyone

What do people think of experience of the Legal Advice Clinic at a university?

Is it really worth it? Or is it just admin work/tea/coffee?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Pythian
Hi everyone

Thanks

It fundamentally depends on the legal advice clinic in question. Some will have you do at least some work (likely under heavy supervision) which is of course helpful. Others may have you do some initial meetings but not drafting advice, or some admin work which involves client contact but not real advice. Those are also very helpful for soft skills like communication styles, and for showing that you have some personality. I think on a personal level, they are also very good to do even if you want to go into commercial law or something just to remind yourself that not all law is like that and people are very different.

Finally, you have "pure" admin work. That is not likely to be that helpful in terms of developing your skills, but I'd have thought a university law clinic would try and reduce that and/or spread it around so that people get a reasonable amount of time actually providing assistance with things. Whatever you do at a law centre you will always have quite a lot of plain admin work, but that's par for the course with any legal work experience where you are actually helpful to your place of work as opposed to being given exercises which are solely for your own benefit.
Reply 2
Original post by Pythian
Hi everyone

Thanks

Do you mind me asking which uni? I gained experience at a Legal Advice Clinic when I was at uni and it was an eye opening experience and I learned more about law than through any textbook. It gives you practical experience and opportunities to have dealings with clients that will stand you in good stead if you look for a job in law after uni. I would recommend doing it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending