The Student Room Group

would u date someone with a personality disorder?

like bpd

Scroll to see replies

No.
I won't date anyone with health problems or taking daily medications.
That would end up being a complete mess. I have schizophrenia and find it hard enough to deal with my own **** not to mention someone else!

If a person I was dating developed some kind of personality disorder I'd try to make it work but I think it probably wouldn't.
Reply 3
Done it and it was awful, so I'd certainly think twice now
Nap, tried it, basic self preservation says no.
Original post by londonmyst
No.

Even like thyroid meds?
Original post by Sabertooth
Even like thyroid meds?

Yes.
As someone with a personality disorder, probably not, although personality disorder covers a really wide spectrum of difficulties so maybe it wouldn’t always be a disaster. Commitment to recovery and how much insight a potential partner had would also factor in to my decision.
I just wouldn’t be able to be with someone who was experiencing a lot symptoms because it would be too distressing and destabilising to me. There’s a weird contagion that can happen between people who have certain PDs
Yes.

:getmecoat:
Reply 9
but with a mild version of borderline personality disorder?
i have episodes about 4 times a year where i escape from home if my mum separates me from a dangerous relationship as i tend to choose the wrong people including friends.
i am getting better, off medication too
haven't been diagnosed but it's clear as i was abandoned from my dad at 4, i remember it... i have attachment issues
Done it before. Don't think I could do it again.
Original post by Anonymous
That would end up being a complete mess. I have schizophrenia and find it hard enough to deal with my own **** not to mention someone else!

If a person I was dating developed some kind of personality disorder I'd try to make it work but I think it probably wouldn't.

makes sense. i completely understand that.
sorry to hear this though!
it is tough. but stay strong x
Original post by 1582
Done it before. Don't think I could do it again.

yh i understand actually
it is difficult lots of ppl stop talking to me because of it
i hate it :/ we can't help it but it's unfair on the other person as well so i totally get it
No.

what about people with diabetes or a health issue like that?
what about people with diabetes or a health issue like that?

No.
I have a very long list of dating dealbreakers and only date guys a minimum of 15 years older than me.
No.
I have a very long list of dating dealbreakers and only date guys a minimum of 15 years older than me.

oh right. you do u😊
i have a few health problems and this so i think it’ll be extremely hard for me
but with a mild version of borderline personality disorder?
i have episodes about 4 times a year where i escape from home if my mum separates me from a dangerous relationship as i tend to choose the wrong people including friends.

For me personally this would be a red flag. BPD causes dysfunction in every day life, it’s not just about episodes of crisis. Not understanding this implies a lower level of insight.

You are loveable and there is someone out there for you- I don’t want you coming away from this thread thinking that the things people say on the internet mean you are worthless.
no, that would drain me
like bpd

Yeah, if things were going well then I wouldn't mind. If we never talked or we disliked eachother I guess probably not
I'm on medications so I'm not sure how it would be in the long run

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending