The Student Room Group

gcse tips

Does anyone have tips they can share with current year 11s like. And what you wish to know before you write your gcse.
Thanks
Reply 1
Hi :smile: My first piece of advice would be to start revising now make your revision cards, mind maps, posters (whatever helps you best) as you progress through the year. It’s so much easier to do this along the way rather than to try and cram it all in when it comes closer to your exams. I used Quizlet quite a lot because I found that I didn’t end up losing any revision material and I knew exactly where to find everything. You can also use other people’s revision cards on there so you don’t necessarily have to make you own.

My second piece of advice would be to make sure you take time away from school work and revision etc. and try not to overwork yourself. Maybe plan days when you’ll do work for particular subjects outside of school and stick to them times, otherwise you’ll stress yourself out (I certainly did).

I wish I knew before my exams that all I can do is my best and that it wouldn’t be the end of the world if I didn’t get the top grades (I know everyone says that but it’s so true and I didn’t really realise it until after my GCSEs).

I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Another top tip (thanks to my science teacher). When it comes to equations, write them down at the beginning of the exam because they’re fresh in your mind. Then when it comes to the questions you actually need to use them, you already have them there and you don’t need to worry about trying to remember them. Good luck this year, you’ll do great :smile:
for physics, each time in class you use an eq, for each question, write it out in full and say it out loud, you never need to learn them then, they just sink in. EG:

"moles = mass/mr" out loud as you write it down. Doesn't have to be loud, just do it every time, Lifechanger!
Reply 4
Original post by Mads05
Hi :smile: My first piece of advice would be to start revising now make your revision cards, mind maps, posters (whatever helps you best) as you progress through the year. It’s so much easier to do this along the way rather than to try and cram it all in when it comes closer to your exams. I used Quizlet quite a lot because I found that I didn’t end up losing any revision material and I knew exactly where to find everything. You can also use other people’s revision cards on there so you don’t necessarily have to make you own.

My second piece of advice would be to make sure you take time away from school work and revision etc. and try not to overwork yourself. Maybe plan days when you’ll do work for particular subjects outside of school and stick to them times, otherwise you’ll stress yourself out (I certainly did).

I wish I knew before my exams that all I can do is my best and that it wouldn’t be the end of the world if I didn’t get the top grades (I know everyone says that but it’s so true and I didn’t really realise it until after my GCSEs).

I hope this helps :smile:

Thank you it helps. And is it okay that I always get upset about my grades.
Reply 5
Original post by ZALAB
Thank you it helps. And is it okay that I always get upset about my grades.

You’re very welcome :smile:. I’d say quite a lot of people get upset or disappointed over grades (I know I did!). But try to find positives in the grades perhaps you answered a question you found difficult or one you didn’t think you’d remember the answer for. I’d also say try not to expect more of yourself if you’re already giving 100%. What I mean by this is, if you’re already working as hard as you can in terms of your work and assessments, then how can you expect yourself to do any better? If you’re really not happy with your grades, talk to your teachers and see where you can improve your answers to boost your grades :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Mads05
You’re very welcome :smile:. I’d say quite a lot of people get upset or disappointed over grades (I know I did!). But try to find positives in the grades perhaps you answered a question you found difficult or one you didn’t think you’d remember the answer for. I’d also say try not to expect more of yourself if you’re already giving 100%. What I mean by this is, if you’re already working as hard as you can in terms of your work and assessments, then how can you expect yourself to do any better? If you’re really not happy with your grades, talk to your teachers and see where you can improve your answers to boost your grades :smile:

Thano you, this really motivate me. i think I don't know how you answer questions, it not that I don't know but I find it a bit difficult.
Reply 7
I meant thank you
Reply 8
That’s okay! And I completely get that…sometimes you know exactly what you need/want to include but don’t know how to write it down. If it’s the question you’re not sure on, always analyse it what is the command word (what it’s asking), what does it want you to look at (area of the text or topic), does it give you any key info (words, numbers, dates etc). If it’s just how to answer the question, perhaps look at the mark scheme to see what kinds of things you need to include, and then write a structure to show what order you need to write these ideas in. If you’re still really struggling, again, talk to your teacher to see if they can help or even try to find a model answer. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Mads05
That’s okay! And I completely get that…sometimes you know exactly what you need/want to include but don’t know how to write it down. If it’s the question you’re not sure on, always analyse it what is the command word (what it’s asking), what does it want you to look at (area of the text or topic), does it give you any key info (words, numbers, dates etc). If it’s just how to answer the question, perhaps look at the mark scheme to see what kinds of things you need to include, and then write a structure to show what order you need to write these ideas in. If you’re still really struggling, again, talk to your teacher to see if they can help or even try to find a model answer. :smile:

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest