ellac2003
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
just choosing my uni choices with the view to do investment banking after, ive done some work experience within ib and I know its something that I want to go into
I know the targets are Cambridge/Oxford/warwick/imperial/ucl/lse
but I needed some less competitive unis to put on my application

I know the typical semi targets too but I wasn't too fond ofvall of them when I looked around the unis therefore (aside from Cambridge and lse) id be applying to kings durham and st Andrews

is there any of these that stick out for better or worse?

my school may make me apply to an aab option just as an insurance, so maybe York for that, would a degree from York be a feasible way to get into IB or are there better target unis with those grades??

Also how does bath rate on the spectrum??

Thanks for the help and apologise for the bombardment of questions!!
leviticus.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I typed out a long response then clicked off by accident so I'm gonna be more concise:

1. York and St Andrews are very good universities but are still non-targets, try to apply elsewhere.
  2. Durham is a great choice and straddles the line of semi-target and target lately.
  3. LSE and UCL both have AAB courses listed, same with all of the semi-targets.
  4. Bath is a firm semi-target
Posting your predictions/GCSEs and desired course would be helpful, the course becomes a bit more important outside of the firm targets I think and some courses at target schools aren't competitive at all so there would be no harm in applying to more target schools really.

Assuming you are female (my apologies if you are not) there are a LOT of things going on in your favour to help you land a role in IB and a few of these can be accessed before university. Goldman Sachs run an insight for women in sixth form I think as do many other firms, I'd try applying to them as they can show a lot of enthusiasm for IB when applying to springs. Morgan Stanley does SISU which is aimed at girls in Sixth Form too and actually fast tracks you to their spring week. Spring weeks can convert into summers and summers can convert into full-time offers so its definitely worth trying to do.
ellac2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by leviticus.)
I typed out a long response then clicked off by accident so I'm gonna be more concise:

1. York and St Andrews are very good universities but are still non-targets, try to apply elsewhere.
  2. Durham is a great choice and straddles the line of semi-target and target lately.
  3. LSE and UCL both have AAB courses listed, same with all of the semi-targets.
  4. Bath is a firm semi-target
Posting your predictions/GCSEs and desired course would be helpful, the course becomes a bit more important outside of the firm targets I think and some courses at target schools aren't competitive at all so there would be no harm in applying to more target schools really.

Assuming you are female (my apologies if you are not) there are a LOT of things going on in your favour to help you land a role in IB and a few of these can be accessed before university. Goldman Sachs run an insight for women in sixth form I think as do many other firms, I'd try applying to them as they can show a lot of enthusiasm for IB when applying to springs. Morgan Stanley does SISU which is aimed at girls in Sixth Form too and actually fast tracks you to their spring week. Spring weeks can convert into summers and summers can convert into full-time offers so its definitely worth trying to do.
Ah this is all fantastically helpful, thank you so so much!!

please could you suggest the AAB courses at UCL as I was struggling to find them
I found econ and econ history at lse as an AAB but the acceptance rate was 4% so I was considering geography and economics which is AAA but has a 40% acceptance rate and to be honest the modules it covers are mainly overlapping with development economics and political economy which are actually two fo the parts that interest me the most!

and then land economy at Cambridge
I was just considering straight econ at the other places

Ill have a look for some other options rather than st Andrews and York (kinda relieved you said st Andrews wasn't as ive been worried about moving 7 hours away!)

im predicted A*A*A in maths econ and eng lit

I actually went to an all girls sixth form so those insight programmes would be particularly relevant, thanks so much again!!
thomas234542
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ellac2003)
Ah this is all fantastically helpful, thank you so so much!!

please could you suggest the AAB courses at UCL as I was struggling to find them
I found econ and econ history at lse as an AAB but the acceptance rate was 4% so I was considering geography and economics which is AAA but has a 40% acceptance rate and to be honest the modules it covers are mainly overlapping with development economics and political economy which are actually two fo the parts that interest me the most!

and then land economy at Cambridge
I was just considering straight econ at the other places

Ill have a look for some other options rather than st Andrews and York (kinda relieved you said st Andrews wasn't as ive been worried about moving 7 hours away!)

im predicted A*A*A in maths econ and eng lit

I actually went to an all girls sixth form so those insight programmes would be particularly relevant, thanks so much again!!
Kind of in a similar position, predicted A*A*A (Maths, Econ, History) and got A*(EPQ)... probably gonna go for Finance at Durham (AAB) and Bristol (AAA). I think Warwick has a couple of economic degrees at AAB (e.g. French and Econ), probs wont be applicable for you tho.
ellac2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by thomas234542)
Kind of in a similar position, predicted A*A*A (Maths, Econ, History) and got A*(EPQ)... probably gonna go for Finance at Durham (AAB) and Bristol (AAA). I think Warwick has a couple of economic degrees at AAB (e.g. French and Econ), probs wont be applicable for you tho.
ah fab thanks so much, yeh I was wondering about putting down one for finance as they seem to have lower entry requirements however im not sure id enjoy it as much/my ps would be relevant enough either
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (300)
57.36%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (74)
14.15%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.28%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (44)
8.41%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.97%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.82%

Watched Threads