Post-16 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿English A-Levels vs. Scottish Advanced Highers🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Watch
AchyutChaudhary
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey all,
I was just curious about the 16-19 education systems of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿England & 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Scotland and how do they compare. So far, the only thing I've got around is that A-Levels (the 16-19 qualifications) are equivalent to Scotland's 'Advanced Highers'.
Hence, could you kindly let me know how do these 2 compare? (no. of subjects, exam differences, exam boards, entry requirements, etc.)?

I currently study A-Level History, Geography, Maths & the EPQ (AS-Level) in England, so do you know what are the equivalent A-Level qualifications for these in Scotland?

All help is much appreciated
BlackLab
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There isnt a direct equivalent. Looking at the UCAS points for A level vs Scottish Highers and Advanced Highers is a reasonably easy way to compare without getting into the details of the differences in length of course or difficultly. There is one exam board only.

6-8 NAT5 are studied for one year in S4
5 HIGHERS are studied for one year in S5
In S6 it varies and you can take a combination of Advanced Highers and/or more Highers.

For example I have 5 Highers from S5, and this year in S6 I and taking 2 AH and 2H.
hurts2hatelo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As above said, there isn’t a direct equivalent. I would say Scottish advanced highers are probably harder than a-levels. There’s a lot of coursework, and for many subjects there is a dissertation or assignment to be done. My modern studies dissertation was 5500 words and took about 6 months to write and complete. It was very time consuming, and all of my English friends I’ve met at uni were very shocked that I did both a 50 mark dissertation and a 90 mark exam.

I’ve also seen a-level politics papers, and they look pretty easy IMO, and a lot of it is what we were taught at higher politics, which is supposedly easier than a-level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (308)
57.89%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (74)
13.91%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.09%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.46%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.89%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.76%

Watched Threads