Panting going upstairs?

Watch
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Is this normal? whenever I go up 2 flights of stairs (26 steps total) I get hugely out of breath, panting and unable to talk. I swim a mile every day and walk a few miles a week so I'm getting the cardio in. Is this normal?
Kyri
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Unfortunately this is common, but it's not "normal". As in, you should be able to go up 26 steps without being excessively out of breath. Are you overweight? If you are, that will be affecting it as you have to work a lot harder than a lighter person pushing all your weight up the stairs. With the cardio you're already doing cardio probably isn't the problem. So I'm going to guess it's either your weight, in which case losing some kilos will reduce this, or maybe your leg muscles are too weak, in which case some resistance training will help.
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kyri)
Unfortunately this is common, but it's not "normal". As in, you should be able to go up 26 steps without being excessively out of breath. Are you overweight? If you are, that will be affecting it as you have to work a lot harder than a lighter person pushing all your weight up the stairs. With the cardio you're already doing cardio probably isn't the problem. So I'm going to guess it's either your weight, in which case losing some kilos will reduce this, or maybe your leg muscles are too weak, in which case some resistance training will help.
Hi yes, I am overweight. I was 210lbs but I'm down to 184lbs. I haven't found it any easier to go up stairs however.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do you have any past issues with asthma, lung function, chest pains or any family members with any of the three?
People who have a body mass index above 25 frequently get breathless when climbing stairs, walking in high air pollution regions or high altitude environments.
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
Do you have any past issues with asthma, lung function, chest pains or any family members with any of the three?
People who have a body mass index above 25 frequently get breathless when climbing stairs, walking in high air pollution regions or high altitude environments.
My BMI is above 25 but I thought that because of all the cardio I do that would offset the being overweight?
Zain_Ahmed
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
My BMI is above 25 but I thought that because of all the cardio I do that would offset the being overweight?
How long has it been since you have started doing cardio?
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I can walk for miles on the flat and can swim all day but throw in a hill (or flight of stairs) and it kills me. Going up is harder as you are working against gravity. If you are heavier you are doing more work for the same height gain than a lighter person.
I have had both bronchitis and pneumonia in the past so it is quite likely that my lung function isn't great.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Sometimes being overweight for several years/decades results in squashed organs or reduced lung functionality.
This mean carrying more weight around the chest & stomach areas restricting how much your lungs can move and how effectively they function.
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zain_Ahmed)
How long has it been since you have started doing cardio?
I've been walking 3 miles a day several times a week for about 6 months. The swimming I have been doing for a few months too. The swimming gets me really out of breath and I can feel my heart pumping hard at the end of each lap.
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
(Original post by ReadingMum)
I can walk for miles on the flat and can swim all day but throw in a hill (or flight of stairs) and it kills me. Going up is harder as you are working against gravity. If you are heavier you are doing more work for the same height gain than a lighter person.
I have had both bronchitis and pneumonia in the past so it is quite likely that my lung function isn't great.
Yeah, the flat is fine I can walk without getting out of breath but I put a lot of effort into the swimming so that really wears me out. I have never had bronchitis or pneumonia, I'm just fat.
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
Sometimes being overweight for several years/decades results in squashed organs or reduced lung functionality.
This mean carrying more weight around the chest & stomach areas restricting how much your lungs can move and how effectively they function.
I've been obese for about 3 years. It was caused by a certain medication and yeah I carry most my weight around my stomach area which I have read is the worst place to accumulate it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (284)
57.72%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (67)
13.62%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (53)
10.77%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (42)
8.54%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
5.28%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.07%

Watched Threads