laramiaayhan
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
INTRODUCTION
The display of religious symbols in schools has become a highly debated topic. Many believe that a school should be able to display religious symbols to promote faith and appreciation for the religion, others argue that this may be harmful for students of other religions or belief systems. In this essay, I will argue that religious symbols should not be displayed in schools unless certain circumstances are provided.

POINT 1
First, the display of religious symbols could cause many students with different faiths to feel uncomfortable and unwelcome in their school. A student could see a religious sign intended to promote a certain faith and believe that the school is hostile towards their own beliefs. This discomfort could disrupt this child's ability to learn, by harming their psyche and focus with a feeling of hostility and segregation. Further, schools have a duty to provide children with an environment they feel safe in. A child unhappy and scared will not be able to learn and grow. Therefore religious symbols directly undermine education's purpose and should be banned.

POINT 2
Second, it is unnecessary for schools to contain religious symbols. While many will argue that the symbols are intended to spread awareness or encourage faith, this is not a schools' function. A schools' duty is to educate children, to teach them skills necessary for a healthy citizen to function in society and proper behaviour. Displaying religious symbols may take away from a schools duty and dignity. It may also be posited that religion may fulfill this function, however since religion is personal standardizing it to all children is not a good policy, since many parents will object to their children learning a belief separate from their own and learning behaviour they do not necessarily condone. For example, teaching the Christian belief of a sacred glass of red wine would be heavily objected by Muslims with strict rules against drinking. While religion may be a good tool in directing people towards proper behaviour, it has no place in a standardized learning environment. Therefore symbols to promote a certain religion is unnecessary and possibly harmful and should be banned.

COUNTERARGUMENT
Some may say that displaying religious symbols is an excellent method of showing appreciation for a certain faith, but this should not be done so to jeopardize students' education. Showing appreciation is very much a great tool provided it is done for all faiths and not just one. Otherwise, we fall into the false assumption that promoting faith is a beneficial practice. It may be in certain environments, such as churches or religious schools, since this teaching is voluntary . But for public high schools open to all citizens, promoting faith will serve to further segregation amongst students due to a promotion of superiority amongst beliefs. It is best that schools take an all or nothing approach, showing an appreciation or apathy towards all faiths, since this will aid in the learning process for all students best.

CONCLUSION
In conclusion, although displaying religious symbols may be an excellent way of promoting faith it does not belong in schools ( with the exception of religious schools). It is best to ban religious symbols for the comfort of students and dignity of schools.
Alexandria04
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I guess your structure is good but you can elaborate on your points .for doing this I think you should provide specific examples
Last edited by Alexandria04; 1 month ago
Alexandria04
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
This structure is more academic
Introduction- primary assertion +counter points in brief +thesis statement
Point
Evidence
Example
Counter point
Example
Counter -counter point
And same with 2 para
Synthesis +conclusion [strong reiteration of ur primary assertion]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (67)
33.33%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
26.87%
No (53)
26.37%
I'm not sure (27)
13.43%

Watched Threads