The Student Room Group

Uni changed their grade requirements - help

Before the next UCAS cycle started, the uni course I was planning to apply for, upped their requirements. Previously I had just met the requirements and I didn't plan to resit in my gap year as I thought I didn't need to. It's way too late for me to resit this October as it would have to by my Chem A-level and my school didn't get to cover all the content and experiments and because I wasn't planning to resit, my knowledge has all flown out of the window.Ideally, I don't want to resit as I'm working full-time and I think would find it difficult so is there any way the uni could still take me on if I'm just one grade lower for one of the requirements?(I'm panicking a little because just by chance, I checked the website and thought I was going crazy when I noticed the grade requirement had changed).Thanks :smile:
If you are applying with achieved grades then uni’s are much less likely to be flexible I’m afraid.

I’d advise looking at a plan B Uni, maybe applying and getting an offer, and then seeing if your original choice ends up in clearing.
Reply 2
Original post by Ash-M :)
Before the next UCAS cycle started, the uni course I was planning to apply for, upped their requirements. Previously I had just met the requirements and I didn't plan to resit in my gap year as I thought I didn't need to. It's way too late for me to resit this October as it would have to by my Chem A-level and my school didn't get to cover all the content and experiments and because I wasn't planning to resit, my knowledge has all flown out of the window.Ideally, I don't want to resit as I'm working full-time and I think would find it difficult so is there any way the uni could still take me on if I'm just one grade lower for one of the requirements?(I'm panicking a little because just by chance, I checked the website and thought I was going crazy when I noticed the grade requirement had changed).Thanks :smile:

A lot will depend on how popular the course and the uni is. If they had a lot of applications this year that exceeded the entry requirements then that may be reason alone why they feel it is worthwhile to put the entry requirements up.

If it was me I would contact the uni first to see if there is any leeway as you have your grades already.

I know some unis hold back decisions on applications such as yours until most of the applications for the year are in. Some students may apply with predicted grades at the same level as you have achieved. They would take achieved over predicted in this situation.

It is still possible they would accept you and it's only one choice out of five, so worth a shot. My son got an unconditional offer at Exeter (and 3 other unis actually) with achieved grades of ABB when the unis were asking for AAB for History, so it does happen, depending on the course I guess. Like I wouldn't try it for medicine, but for other courses it's worth trying or at least emailing Admissions to ask their opinion about whether it's worth it for that particular course.
(edited 2 years ago)

It is hardly a surprise that universities have upped their requirements. Last year universities got caught out big time by the grade inflation caused by CAGs and basically had to take more students than they would normally expect because of.it. Most students got a grade above what they normally would have had in a normally exam year. Universities will not want to get caught out in the same way again and nobody can predict how strict the marking will be this year so to prevent the same situation were always likely to increase grades. It might be worth checking with the university as sometimes they accept students with 1 grade below. You might still get accepted on your grades. Only the university will be able to tell you this.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending