Masters or a PGCE

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
How true is this… after your masters degree in education you’ll have to do a PGCE… is that true? I actually studied computer science in education. I don’t know if I should do a masters or a pgce
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
Well, if you want to teach in a state-maintained school you will need QTS. The most direct way to get this is generally via a PGCE but there are other means to that end, too (School Direct etc).
Last edited by gjd800; 10 months ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by gjd800)
Well, if you want to teach in a state-maintained school you will need QTS. The most direct way to get this is generally via a PGCE but there are other means to that end, too (School Direct etc).
How do I apply for school direct when I’m not yet in the Uk? I thought it’s for only residence of the country
gjd800
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
How do I apply for school direct when I’m not yet in the Uk? I thought it’s for only residence of the country
You did not specify that you aren't in the UK...
gjd800
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
But to answer - I'm not sure what the requirements are outside of the following:

https://www.ucas.com/teaching-option...irect-salaried

Some School Direct settings will see you come out with a PGCE, but I know four people that have done them at various places (and I trained with a couple more) and they didn't get the PGCE but did get QTS.

If you want to teach in a state school in the UK a PGCE might be easiest option.
Anonymous #1
You did not specify that you aren't in the UK...
Sorry though. Specifications known now.
I am actually looking for the best route to teaching. I read computer science education in Nigeria. I really don’t know if I should do a masters or pgce because I heard if you do a masters in education, you’ll have to still do a pgce. I don’t know how true is that. If after doing a masters in education and I’ll still have to do a pgce, it’s better I do the pgce straight and ditch the masters
gjd800
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Sorry though. Specifications known now.
I am actually looking for the best route to teaching. I read computer science education in Nigeria. I really don’t know if I should do a masters or pgce because I heard if you do a masters in education, you’ll have to still do a pgce. I don’t know how true is that. If after doing a masters in education and I’ll still have to do a pgce, it’s better I do the pgce straight and ditch the masters
To teach in a state school, you will be better served with a PGCE that also gives QTS. Private schools are less fussy sometimes, but a lot of those like the PGCE now, too. Higher qualifications are nice (and schools like them), but they don't automatically qualify you to teach in most schools. For example, I already held a PhD when I did my PGCE.
Anonymous #1
To teach in a state school, you will be better served with a PGCE that also gives QTS. Private schools are less fussy sometimes, but a lot of those like the PGCE now, too. Higher qualifications are nice (and schools like them), but they don't automatically qualify you to teach in most schools. For example, I already held a PhD when I did my PGCE.
Wow… thanks for this! Meaning the pgce is a pre requisite to teaching. Hence PGCE first before masters. Well understood! Thank you!
gjd800
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Wow… thanks for this! Meaning the pgce is a pre requisite to teaching. Hence PGCE first before masters. Well understood! Thank you!
You can do it in any order, really, but if you want to get into teaching ASAP then first doing a PGCE with Qualified Teacher Status is probably your best bet
Anonymous #1
Thank you!
gjd800
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Merosa)
Yes…
Is it possible to change your course after getting a conditional offer?
To something entirely different? I'm not sure, I don't have much experience with that, and UCAS Teacher Training is a different application process than applying for Master's degrees etc. Perhaps someone else can offer some direction
Anonymous #1
To something entirely different? I'm not sure, I don't have much experience with that, and UCAS Teacher Training is a different application process than applying for Master's degrees etc. Perhaps someone else can offer some direction
Can you apply for a different course after getting an offer in the same university?
gjd800
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Can you apply for a different course after getting an offer in the same university?
After thinking about it for a second, they are different processes and the interview procedures for PGCE are stringent. So my feeling is that if you apply for a different course they will not look favourably on you for either, because it is quite flighty. I.e. it looks as though you lack commitment.
Anonymous #1
After thinking about it for a second, they are different processes and the interview procedures for PGCE are stringent. So my feeling is that if you apply for a different course they will not look favourably on you for either, because it is quite flighty. I.e. it looks as though you lack commitment.
True though😭😭😭😭
saadiamaq
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
This was informative. I would to know if there are any services for writing PGCE personal statement.
saadiamaq
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Also, I would like to know if a person is experienced in teaching in other countries than UK , can that person do PGCE in secondary education?
gjd800
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by saadiamaq)
Also, I would like to know if a person is experienced in teaching in other countries than UK , can that person do PGCE in secondary education?
Provided you have the relevant entry qualifications, sure.
saadiamaq
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Provided you have the relevant entry qualifications, sure.
Thank you for the prompt response. I would like to know if you have any idea about personal statement services or if you could help or guide me. I am lost with this.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by saadiamaq)
Thank you for the prompt response. I would like to know if you have any idea about personal statement services or if you could help or guide me. I am lost with this.
Afraid not. better to write your own.
saadiamaq
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Afraid not. better to write your own.
Okay, thank you. Have you done your PGCE and in what subject. How was the experience?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (19)
18.63%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (35)
34.31%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
1.96%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (10)
9.8%
Reading articles about what steps to take (19)
18.63%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
3.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.86%

Watched Threads