The Student Room Group

A-level and GCSE exam changes in England 2022: What does it mean for you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Spelunker
i think A level art is just based on portfolios.

Yep just found this out thank you.
Reply 61
Original post by Talkative Toad
yeah looks ok so far.

yeah im in year 11 and i was in lockdown from yr 9 when we started the GCSE content. When i tell you my year group are behind on the curriculum in year 11 because of the amount of isolation we had... its beyond me. And lets be real nobody really learned anything over lockdown AT ALL. But these changes do seem fair and reasonable to an extent and im quite glad tbh
Original post by Muinah
yeah im in year 11 and i was in lockdown from yr 9 when we started the GCSE content. When i tell you my year group are behind on the curriculum in year 11 because of the amount of isolation we had... its beyond me. And lets be real nobody really learned anything over lockdown AT ALL. But these changes do seem fair and reasonable to an extent and im quite glad tbh

Yeah, I support lots of changes for GCSEs, for A-levels they should be as minimal as possible imo.
Reply 63
Although don’t forget that they will artificially set the grade boundaries to wherever is required to get the right grade distribution, which as they said will be the the midpoint between 2019 and the grade inflation of the last 2 years. So them making the tests easier won’t actually improve people grades, but I guess should help with stress.
Original post by lalexm
Although don’t forget that they will artificially set the grade boundaries to wherever is required to get the right grade distribution, which as they said will be the the midpoint between 2019 and the grade inflation of the last 2 years. So them making the tests easier won’t actually improve people grades, but I guess should help with stress.

Can I ask, are you doing any of the exams this year?
Reply 65
Original post by HadiY
Can I ask, are you doing any of the exams this year?

No, but I’m a parent of someone who is, and have done a lot of research.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by lalexm
No, but I’m a parent of someone who is, and have done a lot of research.

Well we shall see, personally i dont think its fair setting the grade boundaries at a fixed point. Ultimately the people who make the rules are regulated by the same people who ignored their own decisions last Christmas and turned on themselves to release some steam...
Reply 67
Original post by HadiY
Well we shall see, personally i dont think its fair setting the grade boundaries at a fixed point. Ultimately the people who make the rules are regulated by the same people who ignored their own decisions last Christmas and turned on themselves to release some steam...

But essentially they always artificially set the grade boundaries anyway to achieve the required grades. For example, GCSE Maths grade 7 might be 55% with AQA but say 60% with OCR. They are always artificially adjusting the grade boundaries to achieve the required grade distributions, whether it is between exam boards in the same year, or between the same exam boards across years. People are just much more aware of it this year, as they are going to set them at a level to get rid of some of the grade inflation from the last 2 years.
OP can you please attach your source of information for these changes?
Original post by chinjyanson
OP can you please attach your source of information for these changes?

These changes happened 3 months ago, how have you not seen an article on it by now

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-contingency-arrangements-for-gcses-as-and-a-levels-in-summer-2022
Original post by AmIReallyHere
These changes happened 3 months ago, how have you not seen an article on it by now

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-contingency-arrangements-for-gcses-as-and-a-levels-in-summer-2022

I'm an international student so I dont read UK news heh. Im also taking AQA which is a UK board unlike CIE... so I'm confused as to whether this applies to me...

Thanks for the link!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by chinjyanson
I'm an international student so I dont read UK news heh. Im also taking AQA which is a UK board unlike CIE... so I'm confused as to whether this applies to me...

Thanks for the link!

Do you take GCSEs or IGCSEs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending