4lly
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm joining first year next week at Lancaster Uni and I need to pick an optional module. As my degree is two languages I can't pick a language and the only other option that appeals to me is maths. I was wondering how hard the maths module is because I've been told it's really hard and that I should just pick an easy subject but I'd like a bit more information about it before I decide to do/ not do it. (I did Higher Maths IB)
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What is the maths module in question? What are the prerequisites?

What languages are you studying and what are the other options? You might be interested in a module in e.g. linguistics, which could give you some more theoretical framework to understand your language study from, and also a number of linguistic theories are somewhat mathematical in nature (not quantitative per se but have that same analytical/abstract and logical approach), so that might be something to consider too!
4lly
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
What is the maths module in question? What are the prerequisites?

What languages are you studying and what are the other options? You might be interested in a module in e.g. linguistics, which could give you some more theoretical framework to understand your language study from, and also a number of linguistic theories are somewhat mathematical in nature (not quantitative per se but have that same analytical/abstract and logical approach), so that might be something to consider too!
The maths module has calculus, further calculus, statisitcs, probability, linear algebra, statistics and mathematics events. You only need a grade B at A level maths to do it and I got a 5 in higher maths which is the equivalent. I'm doing beginner German and advanced Spanish. I have also considered linguistics too as I think that could be quite interesting but I just really love maths. But also I don't want to risk failing the first year because I've been too ambitious.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 4lly)
The maths module has calculus, further calculus, statisitcs, probability, linear algebra, statistics and mathematics events. You only need a grade B at A level maths to do it and I got a 5 in higher maths which is the equivalent. I'm doing beginner German and advanced Spanish. I have also considered linguistics too as I think that could be quite interesting but I just really love maths. But also I don't want to risk failing the first year because I've been too ambitious.
Well, something to consider is usually first year doesn't count much, or very often at all, towards your final degree classification. Also as long as you pass the optional module(s) and do well in your main subject modules you will probably be allowed to progress to second year.

The maths module in question sounds like more of a mathematical methods module, which means it would probably require regular practice to keep on top of - not really something you can "cram" before the exam for. So you need to be aware that you might have a slightly higher week on week workload with it, which with language subjects which themselves have a fairly high ongoing workload, might make you very busy in first year.

It's probably not going to make a huge difference in your overall degree in terms of progression and results, so if you really want to take it by all means do so!
Jassu1998
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 4lly)
I actually did Math100 in 1st year in 2017. Are you sure it's only a B, it used to be an A at A-level? If you really love Maths, and the requirement has somehow been lowered ( I would be quite surprised?); go for it. Word of warning though, you will need to put in the time for it and is not something you can cram for the night before. If you department offers the possibility, you could look into taking linguistics for credit and auditing maths. Auditing means you only attend lectures and don't submit anything, counts for 0 credit.
4lly
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Well, something to consider is usually first year doesn't count much, or very often at all, towards your final degree classification. Also as long as you pass the optional module(s) and do well in your main subject modules you will probably be allowed to progress to second year.

The maths module in question sounds like more of a mathematical methods module, which means it would probably require regular practice to keep on top of - not really something you can "cram" before the exam for. So you need to be aware that you might have a slightly higher week on week workload with it, which with language subjects which themselves have a fairly high ongoing workload, might make you very busy in first year.

It's probably not going to make a huge difference in your overall degree in terms of progression and results, so if you really want to take it by all means do so!
Yeah you have point, I decided to go linguistics because of the workload. Thanks for your help !!
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 4lly)
Yeah you have point, I decided to go linguistics because of the workload. Thanks for your help !!
Hopefully you'll find linguistics enjoyable, I did a linguistics module last year and it was very interesting I thought! Also it does have the nice feature of being a mix of more abstract and analytical reasoning (sort of mathematical-like) with more open ended questions inviting evaluation and debate. It has a nice mix of STEM like qualities with humanities/social sciences aspects
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (44)
89.8%
No (5)
10.2%

Watched Threads