master of mathematics??? niamh's final fight for a first!

Watch
niamhdoesmaths
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by absolutelysprout)
so jealous you get a reading week :cry: have a lovely week :hugs:
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Ooohh I could really do with a reading week right now. Big congrats on analysis!

If I'm ever up in Newcastle visiting friends I should try that tapas place :yum:
i know! first/second year me would've really appreciated one, i haven't really used them that effectively tbh
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
I love how you think 5 hours in the library isn't a lot!!! :headfire:

Glad your mental health is doing better this week.

Did you listen to the new ABBA album?!!?! :eyeball:
it definitely wasn't 5 hours worth of work

i haven't! still need to get round to that lol
(Original post by Muttley79)
Great to read an upbeat post - sounds like a good week

Congrats on the mark
thank you!
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
update #7, monday 15th november 2021
productively unproductive

hey everyone, hope you're all doing good! here's how my enrichment/reading week went

uni stuff
mas8091 mmath project: haven't done anything for this yet, that's my job for today and i'm dreading it lol

mas8714 topics in analysis: went to the library on thursday to get all caught up with this, it was a bit of a slog because i had 3 weeks worth of content to catch up on. the first video was an hour long, second was 25 mins and third was 45 minutes but they all took me longer than that cos i had to pause them to catch up etc and also just took little breaks here and there. but i got them all done so now i'm caught up ready for tomorrow morning!

mas8715 algebraic topology: left all this til last cos i hate it lmao, went to the library on friday to do some lectures, only managed 3 of them but omg they're so long, did like 10 pages of stuff and i understand absolutely none of it lol. she hasn't posted slides for the next lecture so i'm gonna have to ask her about it on thursday. i'm still like 2 weeks behind with this so it's gonna be a bit of a slog this week to get caught up

mas8804 relativity: haven't done anything since last week as i'm all caught up

mathsoc stuff
we had a bar crawl on monday, you had to dress up as what you wanted to be when you grew up when you were younger, i went as a bus driver lmao i know it sounds dumb but i actually got quite a few compliments on my costume!

Spoiler:
Show

tomorrow we've got a pub quiz so i'm excited to take part rather than host this time!

we faced law in netball on thursday and idk i feel like none of us really had our heads in the game, i certainly didn't and performed really badly. it didn't help that loads of people were at home bc reading week so we were a bit of a mix of thursday and saturday players and didn't really know each other that well. so another loss for the pi-thons :sad:

because so many people were at home, i had to play for charlie's angles as well on saturday against civil engineering and it was brutal lol, i played as my usual GS in the first third then got subbed off for the second (i was awful) but then brought back on in the final third as a WD (i have never played defence before lol) and the girl i was marking made me run so much i thought i was gonna pass out. it was a really good match though and even though we lost we gave it a good fight :yep:

dance club stuff
didn't go to tap on monday bc of the bar crawl straight after, and i didn't go to ballet or street yesterday as i was really tired and wanted to give my legs a break lol. so much netball this week and i've got a slight injury so didn't wanna worsen it

mental health stuff
still doing weirdly alright! it's very strange. i'm still very tired all the time and i'm getting a bit snappy because of it but nothing too awful. this is the first november in like 6 years that i've not been wildly depressed so i'll take that as a win tbh

other stuff
this weekend has just been job application central honestly. been applying to anything and everything, i've completed so many of those interactive assessments and i'm just so tired of it. just want a job

took my sister for a carvery on tuesday and it was FIT

Spoiler:
Show

oh yeah lol i got an email from uni the other day with SERIOUS CONCERNS about my attendance. i mean i haven't been to a lecture in weeks and i've never actually scanned my smart card in a teaching room (which is what most of my lectures are in) so that's probably why. but i'm trying to sort myself out lol

Spoiler:
Show

the school of maths, stats and physics held an lgbt+ lunch on wednesday so i went along, it was really nice actually and not awkward at all like i thought it would be. it was really cool to see and meet openly queer and trans members of staff as well as students in the school, feels good to have that representation

Spoiler:
Show

my friend's been trying to teach us how to play poker this week and i think i'm getting the hang of it. we were playing with sweets until last night we got some actual poker chips so it feels more proper now (and now we can eat the sweets yay)

Spoiler:
Show

other than that i'm not sure if anything else has been going on lol. so i'll leave it at that. see you next week! :heart:

niamh xx

tags
x
x
x
(Original post by MajorFader)
x
(Original post by flaurie)
x
x
(Original post by furryface12)
x
(Original post by brainzistheword)
x
(Original post by Starlight15)
x
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
So so pleased this November is being a bit kinder to you :penguinhug:

OMG that carvery :coma: :drool: :puppyeyes:

I think the first career I ever wanted to be when I was a child was an archaeologist in Egypt. Not sure how one would dress up as one. Maybe Indiana Jones style? :teehee: You're looking great in your driver outfit :yep:

Keep going, you can do this :woo: :rave: :woo:
absolutelysprout
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
don't think i've ever been to a carvery:ninja:
glad to hear the lgbt lunch was good :hugs:
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
ngl I wish I were capable of banging out 3 lectures like that in a topic I dislike in a day. 2 lectures in one day is something I'll consider an achievement
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
update #8, monday 22nd november 2021
feeling fired up

hola friends, hope you've all had a good week! here's how mine has gone

attendance this week: 33.33% (8/9)
times cried this week: 0

uni stuff
mas8091 mmath project: had a lecture for this on tuesday about the presentations we have to do in december. it was pretty informative, and now i'm quite excited to do the presentation tbh, i feel like it's something i'll be able to do quite well in. on wednesday i had a meeting with my supervisor as always, i can't really remember what went on but i know for this week i need to make some corrections but mainly start working on my slides. presentations are the last week of term so only a few weeks away!

mas8714 topics in analysis: actually went to everything for this this week. only 4 of us turned up on tuesday morning and i really didn't understand anything but it was good to not fall further behind. same with thursday morning, i went to the zoom but i didn't really get anything in it hopefully when i stare at it more it'll make more sense lol

mas8715 algebraic topology: didn't go to anything for this as i'm still really behind. put some shifts in in the library this weekend though so now i'm only a week behind (this week) instead of the 2.5 weeks i was behind at the start of the week. so i'll try and get some more done before thursday eek

Spoiler:
Show

mas8804 relativity: had to miss my 1pm lecture on tuesday as the project lecture clashed with it, so i also didn't go to the 5pm one as i didn't think i'd be able to gain much. however i did catch up on wednesday so i'm all good. started my assignment on thursday, it's due on the 30th so i've still got a while but i thought it'd be good to start it sooner rather than later, as i don't want them to build up and let me get behind again

mathsoc stuff
we had a pub quiz on tuesday which was quite good, my team came 3rd which you sadly don't get a prize for, but we still had a good time. this week we've got a spoons crawl so hopefully that'll be a cheap night lol

we played against chemical engineering in netball on thursday and sadly lost again, we've really lost our form recently i personally was very upset with how i played, i missed a close range shot and didn't really get stuck in otherwise :sigh:

training this week was weird, we did a load of team building/trust exercises and one of them made us all cross arms and hold hands and then untangle ourselves, it was SO UNCOMFORTABLE i really hated that one, touching people is :yucky:

we had a netball social on wednesday - pub golf! was such a fun night honestly, and i put in a decent effort i think!

Spoiler:
Show

dance club stuff
didn't go to tap on monday cos i didn't wanna walk alone in the dark, didn't go to ballet or street today bc i couldn't be bothered lol, it was raining and i wanted to stay home and watch sports oops

mental health stuff
had a bit of a wobble on wednesday night, had a bit of a drunken chat with my friend which didn't really help but it was nice to get some stuff off my chest. a few things have been bothering me for a while which i haven't really unpacked yet and i'm not sure i want to - it was fine bc it wasn't negatively impacting my life but now i think it is and that's bothering me a lot :sad:

other stuff
got my exam timetable on friday for january exams, i only have one and of course it's the day before my birthday :bawling: so apparently i'm gonna spend my 22nd birthday revising, how boring lol

Spoiler:
Show

had a meeting with my personal tutor on friday just to discuss how everything's going, i'm very honest with him (probably a bit too honest tbh) but i always feel very motivated after these meetings!

went with my housemates to ghetto golf on friday, i'd never been before and it was so fun! so many good photo opportunities and i came 3rd in the golf so i was quite happy with that!

Spoiler:
Show

think that's about it tbh, see you all next week :heart:
niamh xx

tags
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Thanks so much for the update - I'm knee deep in marking mock GCSEs at the moment. I need to clear it before A level mocks start ...

Good to hear you've nearly caught up - do ask for help in modules where you are struggling ...

What is ghetto golf? I've never heard of it.

We're with you and you can do this!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Yay that you're looking forward to doing your presentation :woo:

Dw about not going to dance: it should be something you do when you want, rather than something you drag yourself too :yep:

I'm really glad that you are being honest with your personal tutor about how things are. Sorry to hear about the mental health wobble though. I'm only ever a PM/text away if you need me! :penguinhug:

Spoons crawl, eh?

:jumphug:
absolutelysprout
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
your pub golf outfit looks great!
sorry to hear you had a bit of a wobble this week, feel free to message me if you ever want to talk :hugs: congrats on attending most of your lectures this week though!!
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by niamhdoesmaths)
attendance this week: 33.33% (8/9)
i love that absolutely no one questioned this despite me being a maths student

(i meant 3/9)
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
Thanks so much for the update - I'm knee deep in marking mock GCSEs at the moment. I need to clear it before A level mocks start ...

Good to hear you've nearly caught up - do ask for help in modules where you are struggling ...

What is ghetto golf? I've never heard of it.

We're with you and you can do this!
argh marking sounds like a nightmare :afraid:
ghetto golf is like an indoor mini golf thing but it's really funky, they've got loads of cool artwork and sections where you can take photos, its very cool! not sure they have them elsewhere but there are loads of similar places with different names
Yay that you're looking forward to doing your presentation :woo:

Dw about not going to dance: it should be something you do when you want, rather than something you drag yourself too :yep:

I'm really glad that you are being honest with your personal tutor about how things are. Sorry to hear about the mental health wobble though. I'm only ever a PM/text away if you need me! :penguinhug:

Spoons crawl, eh?

:jumphug:
not so much anymore :erm:
true, i just feel bad because the membership was so expensive hahaha
:hugs:
your pub golf outfit looks great!
sorry to hear you had a bit of a wobble this week, feel free to message me if you ever want to talk :hugs: congrats on attending most of your lectures this week though!!
aw thank you!
:hugs:
no idea where the 8/9 came from honestly, i meant to type 3 :dontknow:
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
update #9, monday 29th november 2021
rollercoaster of a week

hey guys, hope you've all had a good week. mine's been weird in that everything that's happened has either been really good or really bad, so my emotions have been a bit all over the place. but let's just get into it

attendance this week: 75% (6/8)
times cried this week: a few lol

uni stuff
mas8091 mmath project: spent like 5 hours on tuesday doing work for this as i always do, made some corrections to my written work and made a couple of slides for my presentation like i was asked to. so what i didn't understand was when i went to my meeting on wednesday, it lasted 8 minutes (supposed to be an hour) and it was basically just him telling me off for the whole time, saying my work rate is abysmal and that i've "ground to an absolute halt", that if i carry on the rate i'm going it'll be the worst mmath presentation for years, and that he's already spoken to the module leader about my lack of progress?? before speaking to me?? as far as i thought i was doing okay, i have 12 pages of latex-ed up notes done, and 3 slides of a presentation, which is a lot more than my friends have? i was so confused, angry and upset i left the meeting in tears and now i'm just demotivated. he said that there was nothing more he could say to me other than to just pull my socks up, but he's given me absolutely no guidance on what i need to do? so today and tomorrow are gonna be extremely fun trying to avoid another *******ing in wednesday's meeting

mas8714 topics in analysis: did some stuff on integrable functions this week, and it actually somewhat made sense (yay!!). was meant to have a problems class on thursday after our lecture but he cancelled it as we'd already done quite a lot of examples/exercises and it's not the hardest of topics. got an assignment due on december 10th that i should probably start soon

mas8715 algebraic topology: spent ages on wednesday catching up with this so i can actually attend lectures again, and i managed it! had a zoom on wednesday which was basically a recap of the previous lecture because it was poorly attended, then she went through some questions but i didn't pay attention. then on thursday in the 2 hour lecture she said we've pretty much finished the course? 3 weeks early?? so the rest of the lectures are gonna be recapping stuff which is good i guess because i understand none of it, but i haven't had time yet to work out what parts are causing me the most trouble. i have been asking a few questions in lectures though which is progress for me, she's terrifying when we're wrong sometimes lol

Spoiler:
Show

some funky graphs from last week's lecture

mas8804 relativity: once again skipped both of these lectures on tuesday in favour of project work but i have since caught up as usual. looked at tensors and index notation this week which was a bit boring. have an assignment due tomorrow which i really need to get a wriggle on with, that's my job for today

mathsoc stuff
we had our spoons crawl on thursday which was pretty good - it was nice to be able to sit and chat to people for a change as on a bar crawl and at a pub quiz it's too loud to really hear people. this week we're going ice skating but i’m not going as i don't want to risk further injuring myself, i’m sad cos i was so excited for it as well :sad:

on wednesday at netball training, we were doing a drill and i went to catch the ball and missed... it hit the tip of my ring finger and was so so painful but i carried on for an extra 20 minutes before our coach/captain saw me do a really pathetic long ball because of it so she looked at it and told me to sit out for the rest of training lol. i went home and stuck some peas on it but then it swelled up massively and TURNED BLUE so after uni on thursday i went to the hospital to get it looked at... i've fractured it :dunce: so that's me ruled out of netball for the next 8 weeks :sad: which isn't so bad as we've only got 1 more game before christmas and they don't start again til after exams, so i should only miss these 2 matches

Spoiler:
Show

i still went to watch the girls play on thursday even though i couldn't take part, they played history (i think?) and honestly every single one of them played amazingly, they got very unlucky with an 8-7 loss because they really did play well!

Spoiler:
Show

dance club stuff
didn't go to tap on monday but can't remember why... didn't go to ballet or street yesterday because of the snow and also i don't want to risk falling and hurting myself any more :lol:

mental health stuff
this week has just shafted me honestly. so much stuff has happened that's just sent me into a spiral and it feels like not much more could go wrong. i don't even know what else to say

other stuff
had an asda order on monday but they didn't bring any of my frozen stuff so that really wound me up. but at least i now have a big bottle of baileys lol

bought the flat a new christmas tree as our old one is in a bad state (due to my flatmate fighting with it when hammered on new year's eve last year HAHA). it's so lovely, we've put it up already cos the world is miserable and also our flat christmas is on december 12th so by that logic we're already well into december so it's acceptable

Spoiler:
Show

went with my friend to darts on tuesday, i'd never been before but i really enjoyed it and will probably buy my membership now. we did a bit of a tournament and i won 2 out of my 3 matches to come 2nd in the group and move on to the next round but i then got beaten lol. not bad for my 2nd time playing darts!

Spoiler:
Show

my mum's dog passed away on wednesday. i'm not a dog person and never really bonded with her but my mum and sister are pretty cut up about it. she was my grandad's dog and we got her when he passed away nearly 7 years ago, and she was about 7 years old then so she was getting on a bit, it had been coming for a while but still a shock of course. wednesday was really not a good day lol

on friday i found out i've got through to the final stage for a job application, it's a really good opportunity so pls wish me luck for the interview xxxx

we realised that the milk kettle i've had for a couple of years now works like a cheap velvetiser so we've been making loads of hot chocolates, i've had a freddo one, a cadbury's one with baileys (this was incredible), a kinder one and a twirl one so far, all so so good and just what's needed with how cold it is atm!

Spoiler:
Show

on saturday i and some housemates were supposed to go and watch england vs austria in women's world cup qualifiers in sunderland, but we decided not to go because the weather was bad. i was and still am so gutted, but we watched it on tv and it was a good match. just wish we could've been there

Spoiler:
Show

yesterday i was meant to go to the library but didn't because of the weather, i'm gonna brave it today so let's hope i don't slip on the ice

think i'll stop rambling here and hope this week is less of a trainwreck than last

see you next week
niamh xx

tags
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Wow the supervisor sounds like a *******. Is he running any other projects? Does he have a reputation for that sort of thing?
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Your project supervisor needs reporting - how unhelpful and rude!! :console:
Have you got someone else in the department you can talk to - so unprofessional. If anyone in my school treared a student like that they get a formal warning ... truly shocking.

Otherwise your work sound positive.

Hope your finger heals quickly ..
MajorFader
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
That project supervisor is horrible…nobody needs to hear that when going through a maths diss where everyone is already unsure of themselves. Smh
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Oh wow, your project supervisor was so horrible to you! That's bang out of order of him, considering you've done everything he asked of you. And not very professional of him to speak to the module lead without speaking to you first. I'm so sorry this happen, understandable that it's shaken your confidence

OUCH about that fracture! Please be careful, especially in these icy conditions!!! :console:

YAY for Christmas tree, hot chocolates, and Spoons crawl :coma:

Good luck for the interview, everything crossed for you :penguinhug:
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by niamhdoesmaths)
i love that absolutely no one questioned this despite me being a maths student

(i meant 3/9)
I feel like attending 8/9 lectures and feeling like you only attended a third of them would also be very on brand for a maths student :lol:

Sorry to hear about the rough parts of your week, but well done for getting through it, and good luck for the interview Hopefully this week has more positives for you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.61%
Okay (72)
29.51%
A bit lacking (91)
37.3%
Not good at all (60)
24.59%

Watched Threads