master of mathematics??? niamh's final fight for a first!

Watch
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
glad to hear the weekend away was good :hugs:
your supervisor sounds awful, i second muttley in that you should speak to someone about it- he doesn't sound supportive in the slightest :console:
Advertisement
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I third Muttley that you should consider speaking up about your project supervisor, he seems to be giving mixed messages and just acting unprofessionally, tbh :mad:

YAY for TSR meet-up. I did suspect from one of the drunken threads on here that night :teehee: :holmes: :pierre:

Teal dress looks FAB on you, that colour really suits you

YAY for nice algebra-stuff lecturer. See, that kinda helpful, constructive attitude is what you need - and deserve, btw! - from your project supervisor :yep:

Loads of hugs for you, lovely :penguinhug: :jumphug: :hugs:
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
update #11, monday 13th december 2021
what even is sleep

hey everyone, hope you're all doing good. here's how my week went!

attendance this week: 71.4% (5/7)
times cried this week: 0! surprisingly

uni stuff
mas8091 mmath project: did not have enough time on tuesday to get all my work done for this, so i emailed over what i'd done at 6pm and then stayed up til 1am on tuesday night doing more, went to sleep for 4 hours then woke up at 5 to finish it off, and sent the rest over at 9. then had my meeting at 11:30 and i didn't cry this week, he was actually quite nice. we just went through my slides and he recommended stuff i should add or take out, which i need to do today. the presentation is on wednesday and i'm bricking it !

mas8714 topics in analysis: went to the lecture on tuesday and we were doing some stuff on convergence, it made some sense but not loads. carried on with more of the same on the zoom on thursday and finished the module! i have enjoyed it tbh but jesus christ it's difficult. had an assignment due on friday which i only started on thursday and omg it was solid as a rock. i managed to write something down for 7/8 questions but i'm really not convinced about most of it lol. if i pass i'll be surprised. but that's me done with this half of the module now til the exam in the spring, though depending on how i do in this assignment i might ask for regular meetings with the lecturer next semester cos i don't understand much of it

mas8715 algebraic topology: had an assignment due on wednesday but once again it was pretty much all googlable. i really don't understand much in this module AT ALL so i'm grateful that i can do well in the assignments and actually learn the content at a much slower pace. still just doing revision in the lectures, which is helping a little. didn't go to the office hours this week as i hadn't done any of the work for it, but i've said i'll go next time so that's something else for me to do

mas8804 relativity: still ignoring this module til the christmas break, got my assignment back and got 65% which i'm not too thrilled with even though i found it really hard. definitely need to put in some solid hours revising this over the next few weeks before the exam

mathsoc stuff
the social this week was quiz bingo and even though i said i was going to go, i didn't because i had too much stuff to do and just didn't fancy it. i didn't end up doing any work at home so i fully could've gone but oh well. this thursday we have our winter ball! i'm sooo excited

there was a netball social this week but i didn't go cos i hadn't bought a costume and i was far too tired. however we did have a christmas meal on saturday which was quite nice

Spoiler:
Show

other society stuff
didn't go to darts this week as i had far too much to do on tuesday night

mental health stuff
hasn't been the best tbh but i've been very stressed. surprisingly haven't cried even with the amount of sleep deprivation. the house is very messy atm but i can't be bothered tidying it, even though i know it'd make me feel better. meh only 1 more week to go.

other stuff
got back from the weekend away on monday and immediately had my big scary interview at 4! i honestly have no idea how it went, but i'll find out the outcome by friday so fingers crossed!

then also on monday i went to a gig with my housemates! we went and saw zuzu, i'd never listened to her before but i was a fan! i was shattered after this though lol it was a very full on day

after submitting my assignment on wednesday i came home and immediately went to bed for like 4 hours lol i was exhausted

we had our flat christmas yesterday! we all got matching pyjamas again, did a secret santa and made christmas dinner it was a very good day.

Spoiler:
Show

we also all watched the f1 together cos my friend's recently got us all into it and omg it was so dramatic

think that's about it tbh, see you next week when i'm done for the year !!!

niamh xx

tags
(Original post by absolutelysprout)
x
(Original post by Muttley79)
x
(Original post by Sinnoh)
x
(Original post by MajorFader)
x
(Original post by flaurie)
x
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
x
(Original post by furryface12)
x
(Original post by brainzistheword)
x
(Original post by Starlight15)
x
Advertisement
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Wow what a week! So glad to hear you supervisor was more helpful.

Hope the presentations goes well - I'm (square) rooting for you ...

That Christmas lunch looks awesome!!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
65% for relativity is awesome! Remember that you're a perfectionist and that just because YOU don't like the mark, doesn't mean that it's a bad mark. If that makes sense?

Winter ball sounds fun! I LOVE that your housemates all bought matching PJs I need to crack out my Elf PJs sometime soon. Can't believe Christmas is next week eeek :eek3:

Really glad your project tutor was more helpful and supportive this week. Still think you should consider putting in a complaint though, given how he treated you the past few weeks :mad:

Lots of hugs for you - keep going! :rave:
Advertisement
MajorFader
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You’re one of my motivations in trying to improve my average this year so it’s so nice to read these weekly 😭.

Thought I’d let you know
absolutelysprout
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
65% is great! glad to hear your supervisor wasn't as awful this week
Advertisement
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
update #12, sunday 19th december 2021
done for christmas!

hey everyone, i've made it to the end of term

here's how my week's been (strap in lol, it's been eventful)

attendance this week: 62.5% (5/8)
times cried this week: 0 and i am utterly shocked at how

uni stuff
mas8091 mmath project: didn't do any work for my presentation on monday cos i Couldn't Be Arsed so was then very stressed trying to get it all done on tuesday. it was miles too long when i practiced it which was worrying so i stayed up quite late trying to cut it down. then on wednesday we had the presentations, i was 6th out of 8 so got to see loads of really good presentations before mine, and i didn't think mine went too badly. i didn't go over the time which was my main concern, and i didn't really forget anything. however i glanced over at the marker's sheet and saw "too quick" and "not discussed enough" so i'm not expecting great things from my results for it, luckily it's only worth 10% of the module

Spoiler:
Show

the way this man actually hates my guts HAHAHAH

mas8714 topics in analysis: nothing for this this week

mas8715 algebraic topology: didn't go to either of the zooms this week, just went to the 2 hour in person lecture on wednesday. we did some more revision, on stuff like the seifert-van kampen theorem and commutator subgroups, and then we went through solutions to the assignment that i got entirely from google lol. the lecturer didn't invite me to her office after the lecture so i assume we're just gonna wait til after christmas to get properly going with the 1-1 sessions

mas8804 relativity: there was a revision lecture for this on tuesday but i didn't go. found out on friday that this exam will now be online, so that's put my mind a lot more at ease (no need to memorise all the equations woo). still haven't started my revision yet, exam is meant to be in a month but not sure if that'll change bc of the move to online exams, we'll see

mathsoc stuff
the big event this week was the mathsoc winter ball on thursday night! it was SUCH a good night, really well planned and everyone i spoke to seemed to have a really good time! went out afterwards and then back to a friend's flat, didn't end up home til half 5 lol but it was very good

other society stuff
didn't go to darts because i was too busy with presentation stuff on tuesday night

mental health stuff
gonna combine this with "other stuff" cos it's very much linked

other stuff
so... i've got covid lol. had a tickly throat yesterday (saturday), did a negative lateral flow but today (sunday) had a very tight chest as well and a slight cough, and my friend had the tickly throat, so we went for a pcr test together. still waiting for the results of course, but we both did another lft tonight and mine was very obviously positive.

Spoiler:
Show

my friend's came back negative but that's probably because she's "a day behind" me symptom-wise. so neither of us can go home for christmas, but at least we're not alone. all of our other housemates have already gone home, we've told them all to test loads and be careful. so it's a pretty **** end to the term, i won't be able to see my family over christmas or see my mum on her birthday (christmas eve) so i'm a little upset. if i go on about who i think gave it to me i'll get too angry so i won't, but i'm very angry at someone lol. but honestly i feel okay, just cold-like symptoms at the moment and my appetite has vanished. i haven't told my family yet, i'll do that tomorrow when i get my pcr results. also need to cancel my train and my dentist appointment lol. at least i might get a slight refund on the train ticket (i am BROKE LOL)

oh also found out that i've been put on the waitlist for that job i had an interview for, which is honestly a better outcome than i expected so fingers crossed i get some good news soon! i have started applying for other stuff though so we're sorta back to square one :sad:

i think that's all i've got to say really, hopefully i don't go totally insane spending christmas in my uni house but we'll see. gonna email my personal tutor tomorrow and let him know, and see if i can get any special consideration for my relativity exam cos i am in no fit state to do revision rn lol

any recommendations of stuff to do/watch so i don't go completely mad will be appreciated!

hope you've all had a good week, stay safe and if i don't post here again beforehand, have an amazing christmas if you celebrate!! :heart:
niamh xx

tags
(Original post by absolutelysprout;undefined)
x
(Original post by Muttley79;undefined)
x
(Original post by Sinnoh;undefined)
x
(Original post by MajorFader;undefined)
x
(Original post by flaurie;undefined)
x
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd;undefined)
x
(Original post by furryface12;undefined)
x
(Original post by brainzistheword;undefined)
x
(Original post by Starlight15;undefined)
x
Last edited by niamhdoesmaths; 1 week ago
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
(Original post by MajorFader)
You’re one of my motivations in trying to improve my average this year so it’s so nice to read these weekly 😭.

Thought I’d let you know
awww :bawling: we're in this together!!
Advertisement
Interrobang
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Oh Niamh I am so sorry about the Covid and not being able to see your family :hugs: have you got enough food? A lot of local authorities are organising deliveries etc for people with covid (or at least they did in the past) and it will be very difficult to get a supermarket one this close to Christmas. See what you feel up to doing on the day, but take it easy (there are loads of things on Netflix on my watch list, trying to get through Modern Family which disappears at the end of the month and its 9 seasons long on there). I hope you get something sorted for your exam too :hugs:
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
(Original post by Interrobang)
Oh Niamh I am so sorry about the Covid and not being able to see your family :hugs: have you got enough food? A lot of local authorities are organising deliveries etc for people with covid (or at least they did in the past) and it will be very difficult to get a supermarket one this close to Christmas. See what you feel up to doing on the day, but take it easy (there are loads of things on Netflix on my watch list, trying to get through Modern Family which disappears at the end of the month and its 9 seasons long on there). I hope you get something sorted for your exam too :hugs:
thank you :hugs:
we’ve been able to get an asda slot tomorrow thankfully so food isn’t an issue. i was worried too with it being so close to christmas
yeah at the moment i’m just so tired, i’ll probably find some tv show that doesn’t require much brain power and binge it :lol:
Advertisement
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Oh no, what rotten luck, I'm so sorry hun Glad the symptoms aren't too bad and that one other housemate will be around too. Thinking of you at this time :penguinhug:

Well done on getting through the presentation! And YAY for mathsoc ball :awesome:

Take care, my lovely, and reach out if you need anything :jumphug:
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Oh you poor thing - can you Zoom call your family? I know its not the same but this would have been worse pre internet. Perhaps you could have an alternative Christmas at New Year? Do get help [as suggested above] if you need food.

That text is a disgrace - I'd complain as you have not been treated fairly.

I hope your symptoms will be mild - take care.
Advertisement
Interrobang
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by niamhdoesmaths)
we’ve been able to get an asda slot tomorrow thankfully so food isn’t an issue. i was worried too with it being so close to christmas
yeah at the moment i’m just so tired, i’ll probably find some tv show that doesn’t require much brain power and binge it :lol:
Phew about the food. I'm also watching Gilmore Girls which is quite old but I think should be quite an easy watch
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Oh no, what rotten luck, I'm so sorry hun Glad the symptoms aren't too bad and that one other housemate will be around too. Thinking of you at this time :penguinhug:

Well done on getting through the presentation! And YAY for mathsoc ball :awesome:

Take care, my lovely, and reach out if you need anything :jumphug:
thanks lovely :hugs:
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
Oh you poor thing - can you Zoom call your family? I know its not the same but this would have been worse pre internet. Perhaps you could have an alternative Christmas at New Year? Do get help [as suggested above] if you need food.

That text is a disgrace - I'd complain as you have not been treated fairly.

I hope your symptoms will be mild - take care.
yeah i’m gonna facetime them on christmas eve and christmas day so at least i’ll be able to see them virtually! i’ve spoken to them and i’ve said i’ll probably go home at the end of january so my mum’s said she’ll keep the decorations up til then :cry2:

Muttley79
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by niamhdoesmaths)
yeah i’m gonna facetime them on christmas eve and christmas day so at least i’ll be able to see them virtually! i’ve spoken to them and i’ve said i’ll probably go home at the end of january so my mum’s said she’ll keep the decorations up til then :cry2:

Two Christmasses

At least you are not on your own ... :grouphugs:
Advertisement
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
update #13, sunday 26th december 2021
covid diaries

hey everyone, hope you've all had a good week and a lovely christmas!

my week has been very boring for me as you can probably imagine with me not being able to leave my house lmao. i'll try and remember if i've done anything exciting but probably not much

monday 20th:
pcr result came back positive so i've deffo got the rona. i emailed my project supervisor back, was trying to sort out when we'll start having meetings again but it's all up in the air as i've got a feeling uni will go back online in january. other than that just watched tv all day and did our asda order

Spoiler:
Show

tuesday 21st:
asda order came so we got food and medicine. found out that my relativity exam in january won't be 24 hours even though it's online, instead we'll have the normal 2 hours plus an extra hour for uploading it and stuff, so all of the worries i thought were solved are in fact not solved and i'm back to being stressed again lol yay. it was my grandma's birthday (everyone say happy birthday mary) so i gave her a ring and by the sounds of it she had a good day! otherwise just watched more tv and ate more chocolate

Spoiler:
Show

wednesday 22nd:
a very nothing-y day. spent the whole day in the living room eating chocolate and watching darts and other crap telly. emailed my personal tutor about special consideration and just other stuff but he's on annual leave so i haven't had a reply yet. i'm sure it'll be a lovely message when he does reply, he's so so nice

thursday 23rd:
another nothing day. watched yet more darts and ate large amounts of chocolate as per usual. got an email from my uni's covid support team gifting me a £25 uber eats voucher cos they felt bad for me isolating over christmas which was really nice of them. also had a nice bath in the evening which i wish helped me feel a little more human but alas it did not

Spoiler:
Show

friday 24th:
christmas eve was very nothing-y as well but we didn't even have darts to watch today. was my mum's birthday (everyone say happy birthday mandy) so i gave her and my sister a ring which was nice, then in the evening my friend and i had a maccies, put our christmas pjs on and watched the tweenies enchanted toy shop - we were trying to find a christmas film but i hate a lot of them and we couldn't think of a decent one so that's what we ended up with loool

saturday 25th:
christmas day! had to force myself to get up in the morning but i did and we had some pastries for breakfast, then i actually put some clothes on for the first time all week and we made a very basic christmas dinner which was very nice. we both called home and then had some cheese and crackers and yet more chocolate and watched some rubbish christmas telly and that was it really. definitely didn't feel like christmas but it was an alright day all things considered

Spoiler:
Show

never related to a knitted snowman more in my life

today:
another nothing day but at least football was back, that's basically all we've done today, i didn't get up til midday lol. watched big fat quiz of the year this evening and did very badly, this year honestly feels like a fever dream

symptoms wise i've been doing okay, the actual cold symptoms like the cough and the runny nose etc cleared up pretty quickly but i've had a headache for the past 5 days straight which is not fun and the FATIGUE is honestly no joke like i sleep for about 12 hours a day it's ridiculous. periodically stick my head out the bathroom window for some fresh air. lateral flows still coming back positive :sigh:

deep cleaning the flat tomorrow and tuesday morning before isolating in my room as one of my flatmates is coming back on the 28th. already dreading the cleaning lol even loading the dishwasher is a Big Task for me at the moment & i have to have a sit down afterwards. down to my last 2 paracetamol as well so it's gonna be a rough couple of days.

honestly never want to watch a game of darts again, can't say the same about the chocolate

peace & love
niamh xx
tags
(Original post by absolutelysprout;undefined)
x
(Original post by Muttley79;undefined)
x
(Original post by Sinnoh;undefined)
x
(Original post by MajorFader;undefined)
x
(Original post by flaurie;undefined)
x
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd;undefined)
x
(Original post by furryface12;undefined)
x
(Original post by brainzistheword;undefined)
x
(Original post by Starlight15;undefined)
x
Last edited by niamhdoesmaths; 1 week ago
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks for the update - poor you :console:

Hope the headache and fatigue go soon

Good to know you have enough food etc.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
So sorry you're feeling so rough Happy Birthday (belatedly) to Mary and Mandy

Loads of hugs for you :jumphug:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (36)
21.95%
Note taking apps (5)
3.05%
Flashcards (29)
17.68%
Revision guides (5)
3.05%
Past papers (83)
50.61%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.66%

Watched Threads