Wheresthecake
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I’m a bit upset about my feedback today. When does it get easier to accept. I’m an nqt and I thought I’d be used to it but I’m not

I was feeling like I’ve let the dept down
Last edited by Wheresthecake; 3 weeks ago
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Wheresthecake)
I’m a bit upset about my feedback today. When does it get easier to accept. I’m an nqt and I thought I’d be used to it but I’m not

I was feeling like I’ve let the dept down
I think I found it harder to deal with negative feedback during my NQT than I did during my training year, just because I felt the increased pressure of being a paid employee of the school who was solely responsible for my classes. It got a lot easier quite quickly though, once I was in the swing of things. The first term especially as an NQT can be really tough!

Did you get some positive comments too? Try to make sure you focus equally on those and how you can keep up those good aspects of your teaching practice. You will probably also find you feel better about it when you have implemented some changes to address any weaknesses that were pointed out in the observation.
Wheresthecake
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by bluebeetle)
I think I found it harder to deal with negative feedback during my NQT than I did during my training year, just because I felt the increased pressure of being a paid employee of the school who was solely responsible for my classes. It got a lot easier quite quickly though, once I was in the swing of things. The first term especially as an NQT can be really tough!

Did you get some positive comments too? Try to make sure you focus equally on those and how you can keep up those good aspects of your teaching practice. You will probably also find you feel better about it when you have implemented some changes to address any weaknesses that were pointed out in the observation.
I really feel I’d let the team down. Feedback was around me and my general demeanour (gotta smile more). I think as it was at the end of my lesson I just felt a little run down plus I’m I’ll atm.

it just feels so hurtful when I so want to be the best I can but it sounds like I’m not
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I really feel I’d let the team down. Feedback was around me and my general demeanour (gotta smile more). I think as it was at the end of my lesson I just felt a little run down plus I’m I’ll atm.

it just feels so hurtful when I so want to be the best I can but it sounds like I’m not
I think it’s important to remember you won’t be at your best right now. You’re adapting to a new school and to new levels of responsibility, and presumably had a somewhat disrupted training year. Just keeping on top of the basics is an achievement at the start of your NQT!
SE179
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Can you not try to see it as constructive criticism? They might just be trying to make you be the best you can be. I mean, it is pretty brutal seeing feedback if it's not positive - try to bear that in mind. Not a lot of people have the guts to do what you're doing. Although it is important to be reflective and act on feedback, it sound like you're being a bit hard on yourself. It will get better.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I think personal feedback can be really upsetting, and I would not do this with trainees or new teachers unless it's positive. I think people don't realise what impact it can have on you.

You have not let the team down by not smiling! If you've been made to feel that way, I'm really sorry. But try not to make this into something it isn't.

There's a difference between feedback and nastiness. If you were made to feel like you've let the department down by not smiling (and that's not just your internal reaction) I'd maybe speak to your induction tutor etc about this, as that's not really appropriate.
ThursdaysChild22
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Feedback should be balanced so you should’ve been told some things you’re doing well and some things you need to improve. If you have only been given areas for improvement, you can flag this with your mentor and mention that you found it really upsetting and demoralising.
Wheresthecake
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
I think personal feedback can be really upsetting, and I would not do this with trainees or new teachers unless it's positive. I think people don't realise what impact it can have on you.

You have not let the team down by not smiling! If you've been made to feel that way, I'm really sorry. But try not to make this into something it isn't.

There's a difference between feedback and nastiness. If you were made to feel like you've let the department down by not smiling (and that's not just your internal reaction) I'd maybe speak to your induction tutor etc about this, as that's not really appropriate.
I was down about it to be honest. It’s pretty upsetting when I feel I’ve let them down. My manager delivered the info and sort of said “be a little more chirpy” but they’ve given me 30 very challenging students who really really push me and I’m in at the Deep end and I just couldn’t smile as they’d already started the nasty comments by the drop in obs
Last edited by Wheresthecake; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (310)
57.94%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (75)
14.02%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.03%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.41%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.86%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed