MA English Literature without a undergraduate degree in it?

Watch
Cutiepiexoz19
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, guys
I am interested in undertaking a M.A in english literature next year.
I didn't do English Literate for my undergraduate degree but a marketing and advertising instead inwhich I just graduated with a 2.1.
My degree was a written based degree that encompassed PR and Journalism modules too.

I have always been interested in english literature with a love of books too but unfortunately I didn't get the grades to study it at A-level nor GCSE.
I have been doing a range of short courses to get myself familiar with the background.

Do you think that I will still be able to do the MA even though I have not studied English Literature before?
Yazhini K
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey!I'm currently in the final year of my undergraduate degree in English Literature. I'm not from the UK, but I still think I can answer some general aspects of the degree. The thing is, as long as you are really passionate about reading and writing tons of essays, you should be fine. However, please remember that you won't always like your assignments. There may be novels or dramas that you won't particularly like, but you would have to work on it anyway. Also, think about what you want to do in terms of a career. As much as I hate saying this, English Literature is not the best degree to get a job right now.

With that said, I love my program. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made. Yes, it is hard to get a job. Entry-level editorial positions and such do not pay well at all. But if you like Literature, you will love the lectures and study program. I personally like my classes and most of the reading. You might have courses on Literary Criticism, Literary Forms and Theories. I suggest that you find some undergrad level reading material for these courses as they are probably the hardest you'll encounter. You may also have History electives. I had a paper on the History of England and one on the History of English Language and Literature (aka HELL, like literally). Look at your course curriculum to see what electives you have and prepare accordingly.

Standard literature papers like Feminist Theories, Shakespeare Studies, Commonwealth Literature and the usual reading that comes with Lit such as Poetry, Short Stories, Fiction, Dramas and Plays are quite easy in the sense that you could master it without any prior literature background. Most literature degrees don't have a Linguistics paper, but I had one as my core, and I wouldn't say I liked it much. So, if you have linguistics, some background reading might be necessary.

Overall, it depends on the modules of your program. But, I think you will be fine. If you are enthusiastic about Literature and are willing to work a little bit, you don't have to worry about anything. Literature is not a complex subject. It's just not for everyone. Some people don't end up liking it. As long as you want to study English Lit, go for it! It's a very lively degree. All the very best!
Last edited by Yazhini K; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (192)
55.81%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (48)
13.95%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (38)
11.05%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.3%
I haven't started researching yet (19)
5.52%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.36%

Watched Threads