Watch
Destati
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello, this is my first post here.
I need some useful advice regarding my career,
I have a diploma which has awarded me RQF Level 3 / SCQF Level 6-7 / CQFW Level 3 (UK framework levels)
BTEC National Diploma/Extended Diploma (UK Qualification)
The problem is that at the time of graduation when we were in class the teachers were not up to the skills and it was rare to go to laboratory to practice, so now I have the diploma without experience or knowledge.
My question is: which way is advisable?
1) I could do a course and be trained by a competent person but wasting the diploma because the course would only overwrite what I already got.
2) Start directly in the company and see if I can work while learning.
3) Learn the basics on my own and apply them for jobs.

I don't know which path I should take,
Any other options or advice is welcome.

ps: I got my diploma in 2016 in Italy, in 2019 I moved to the UK and I'm only using it now after having done the Statement of Comparability.
JasmineAcademic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey!

I think it would all depend on the work area your BTEC was in. I did a BTEC in biomedical science and I had lots of practical lab work. We had to do the lab work because we wouldn’t have been able to do our coursework if not. They definitely didn’t give you the learning experience you was supposed to get and I really don’t know how they managed to sign off on your qualification knowing you hadn’t done the majority of the laboratory work.

Another thing, I think it would also depend on the area you were going to work in. Was you just using your BTEC to go directly to work or was you hoping to go to further education? As annoying as it is, I wouldn’t worry about not having the hands-on experience as there isn’t a job that exists where you would be expected to know what you were doing straight away. Every job I have ever had has included an induction period where I would shadow someone for a week or two to learn how to use the equipment or how to use the computer systems etc.

If your hoping to go into a science or lab environment then you have less need to worry as these environments are very strict on competency of using equipment and machinery before even being allow to touch or use it. You would have to be signed off by a manger to ensure you know how to do something before being let to go it alone. Again, it’s annoying that you don’t have the little skills but you have the knowledge in your mind and at least that’s a good starting point! You will soon pick up how to do things in your first few days.
Destati
Rep:
?
I was hoping to apply directly to work as electric and electrical engineer.

I don't even remember theory,
what if I buy a good book to start and then learn on the workplace?
JasmineAcademic
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Destati)
I was hoping to apply directly to work as electric and electrical engineer.

I don't even remember theory,
what if I buy a good book to start and then learn on the workplace?
Yes get a book a refresh your brain. You will soon pick it up!

To be honest I’m not sure your course would lead to direct entry as an electrical engineer or electrician. Like me I had to go on and do further training. BTEC level 3 is equivalent to 3 a levels so most people use them as an entry to university course. I’ve just had a look and I think you would do better trying to find an apprenticeship at level 3. You need to have an NVQ level 3 to become an electrician so you learn on the job. Have a look for some trainee roles and apprenticeships in that area. Some electrical companies may even be willing to take you on as a trainee.

Again you wouldn’t need to have all the knowledge from your BTEC because you will be being taught different things and you will pick it up easier because you will be doing it on the job.
Destati
Rep:
?
Could you recommend me a good book to start and lead me into practise?
Many Thanks.
JasmineAcademic
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Maybe start here - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iRXe8lKBtK4

And keep a look on here for electrical apprenticeships coming up - https://uk.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=Elect...Apprenticeship

Also check here. Put your postcode in and see where’s local to you that are offering training - https://findapprenticeshiptraining.a...v.uk/courses/5
Last edited by JasmineAcademic; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (158)
84.95%
No (28)
15.05%

Watched Threads