Whole body is aching after working out yesterday, should I go the gym today?

Watch
ChappedCrickle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Basically I'm currently doing a push pull legs regime.
Tuesday I did a couple pushing exercises
Wednesday I did a couple pulling exercises
Yesterday (Thursday) I did legs

Anyways, my plan was to go to the gym 6 days a week and have 1 rest day. My rest day was gonna be each Monday. But my whole body is aching pm after tbe workouts. Should I go to the gym anyways despite this or should I only next go to the gym once my body stop aching. Literally every muscle group is aching rn and I can barely bend down to get stuff.
TacitusKillgore
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It is fine to workout with some DOMS. If you're aching that badly though you might not be comfortable enough to exercise efficiently and you'll mainly just be wasting your energy. It's up to you I guess.
Last edited by TacitusKillgore; 3 weeks ago
Anonymous35657
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You need 3 or 4 rest days a week in order for muscle to build and repair otherwise if you only let your muscles rest once a week it's not going to do any good and will make you more prone to injury. Its your choice if you want to go to the gym or not I'm just letting you know that it can make your body more prone to injury if your exercising with body aches.
ChappedCrickle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous35657)
You need 3 or 4 rest days a week in order for muscle to build and repair otherwise if you only let your muscles rest once a week it's not going to do any good and will make you more prone to injury. Its your choice if you want to go to the gym or not I'm just letting you know that it can make your body more prone to injury if your exercising with body aches.
Really? Are you sure?

So basically what I need to do from now on is spend longer times in the gym when I'm there. I've already been in the gym 3 times this week and my whole body is completely aching so I might aswell just leave it till next week then.
ChappedCrickle
Rep:
?
Well my question to you is this:
Does this mean this strategy would be good?
Monday: Push
Tuesday: Cardio (walking)/rest
Wednesday: Pull
Thursday: Cardio (walking)/rest
Friday: Legs
Saturday: Cardio (walking)/rest
Sunday: Rest

This good or not to follow?
Anonymous35657
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ChappedCrickle)
Well my question to you is this:
Does this mean this strategy would be good?
Monday: Push
Tuesday: Cardio (walking)/rest
Wednesday: Pull
Thursday: Cardio (walking)/rest
Friday: Legs
Saturday: Cardio (walking)/rest
Sunday: Rest

This good or not to follow?
I think that's a good idea.
ChappedCrickle
Rep:
?
Hey what if I did different body parts each day?
So like one day back another day triceps etc?
Does that work or are you meant to have 3/4 rest days no matter what you do?
ChappedCrickle
Rep:
?
And wait surely if I do 2x push 2x pull 2x legs it won't negatively affect me because on 5 days a week I'm not doing push, on 5 days a week I'm not doing pull and on 5 days a week I'm not doing legs, giving my body the time to recover surely?

Because think about it you train different muscles when you do push pull legs. Surely it means I can do each one 2 times a week right or is that not how it works?
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you are new to the gym I would go just once/twice a week depending on what you feel is right for your body to endure as you get used to going your recovery will likely become less enabling you to go more often.
Zain_Ahmed
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Anyways, my plan was to go to the gym 6 days a week and have 1 rest day. My rest day was gonna be each Monday. But my whole body is aching pm after tbe workouts. Should I go to the gym anyways despite this or should I only next go to the gym once my body stop aching. Literally every muscle group is aching rn and I can barely bend down to get stuff.
This is the issue with push pull legs when you do it repetitively throughout the week. I suggest doing push, pull, legs, rest.. and keep recycling that routine.
Zain_Ahmed
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey what if I did different body parts each day?
So like one day back another day triceps etc?
Does that work or are you meant to have 3/4 rest days no matter what you do?
Working different body parts is better. Say you do chest one day and the next is back.. your chest will have more time to rest as it isn't fully engaging in the back workout. so therefore would need one or 2 rest days. Whereas doing pull push legs means a lot of muscles fatigued in one day, which 2 days after would get worked out again and become even more fatigued until it started to badly ache..
fitnessman123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

ignoring the actual question - this is more important. You don't have to spend 6 days at the gym. I have a 4 day split of upper/lower. I could easily change that to a 3 day full body split where i only SBD. You should change your split before you burn out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (285)
57.69%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (68)
13.77%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (53)
10.73%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (42)
8.5%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
5.26%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.05%

Watched Threads