Comparing ozymandias and my last duchess

Watch this thread
lexeeharrisson1
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Both Shelley's Ozymandias and Browning's My Last Duchess show how power is always abused.

Shelley refers to a statue of Ozymandias as being "half sunk" and "shatter'd". These adjectives display the loss of Ozymandias' power. The word "shatter'd" has connotations of fallen, completely and utterly destroyed, this suggests that Ozymandias' power cannot be rebuilt. This also implies how nature is more powerful than mankind and how human power doesn't last.
Shelley says that Ozymandias spoke with a "sneer of cold command", this implies that Ozymandias was a tyrannical leader, his power and arrogance, is ironic now that his statue is in ruins, this also tells us that he thinks that he is superior than everyone else; the adjective "cold" suggests that he doesnt care about anyone but himslef.

Similarly Browning refers to the Duchess as "My last Duchess". The use of the possessive pronoun "my" shows us how controlling the Duke is and he thinks that he deserves all of her attention. The Duke explains how he "chose never to stoop" when complaining about his Duchess. The verb "stoop" shows that he sees himslef as higher and greater than everyone else (including his wife). The poem is written as a dramatic monologue, Browning shows us how powerful the Duke is, by showing how much influence he has even over his narrative. This is shown in the enjambment, continuing the sentence into the next line in order to emphasise the word "never" and highlighting how certain he is about his superiority over others.
incognitowizard
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
Is this a question or a statement?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (19)
27.94%
As I expected (21)
30.88%
Harder (25)
36.76%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed