confused.idiot
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey guys, I am looking to apply for an MBA in UK (non-EU national). Have 5.5 yrs work experience, decent grades in graduation, and would like some advice on which universities to apply to, hopefully with the tuition fee in the 15-18K range maximum.
The choice of unis is overwhelming so would appreciate some recommendations.
Thanks
Last edited by confused.idiot; 2 weeks ago
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Your tuition fee budget is quite low.
Most of the high profile mba courses with the strongest reputations on an international level have tuition fees in excess of £30k, even for uk citizen home students.

Do you have any additional potential sources of mba funding?
Such as corporate sponsorship, family, government funding or a scholarship.
confused.idiot
Rep:
?
I was hoping to get some sort of scholarship, whether govt or by the university. But those usually give max. 3-4 k as scholarship. So the tuition budget can stretch out to around 20-22 k with this, but not more than that.
A few unis fall under/ around this budget - East Anglia, Nottingham Trent, Leeds Trinity, Manchester Metrolpolitan etc
Are any of them renowned for their MBA programs ?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by confused.idiot)
I was hoping to get some sort of scholarship, whether govt or by the university. But those usually give max. 3-4 k as scholarship. So the tuition budget can stretch out to around 20-22 k with this, but not more than that.
A few unis fall under/ around this budget - East Anglia, Nottingham Trent, Leeds Trinity, Manchester Metrolpolitan etc
Are any of them renowned for their MBA programs ?
Most certainly not. UEA is renowned for creative writing, the other three just for having better universities in the same city

Your best bet for scholarships is from your own country. MBA scholarships are usually limited to employers paying some or all of the costs.
confused.idiot
Rep:
?
Thanks for your advice.
One more question, is the placement year after MBA worth it ? Cannot seem to find much information regarding this, and need to know if it would benefit more than just the 1 year full time MBA course.

(Original post by threeportdrift)
Most certainly not. UEA is renowned for creative writing, the other three just for having better universities in the same city

Your best bet for scholarships is from your own country. MBA scholarships are usually limited to employers paying some or all of the costs.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by confused.idiot)
Thanks for your advice.
One more question, is the placement year after MBA worth it ? Cannot seem to find much information regarding this, and need to know if it would benefit more than just the 1 year full time MBA course.
Well, it’s getting difficult. This is your life and your decision to make, and you need to research what flies with employers in your home country.

If you are hoping to get a job in the UK, then I’d suggest that none of the universities you have listed will generate a salary dividend for future employment in the UK. In other words, they aren’t worth the UK fees, let alone if you have to pay overseas fees. The fact someone is offering a placement year after the course kind of indicates they aren’t able to gather classic MBA applicants and are searching for ways to appeal to applicants too junior to really get value from and MBA.

If any UK degree is saleable in your country, then go for it. But I’d say don’t waste your money if you are hoping to get employment in the UK purely off the back of the MBA.
confused.idiot
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Well, it’s getting difficult. This is your life and your decision to make, and you need to research what flies with employers in your home country.

If you are hoping to get a job in the UK, then I’d suggest that none of the universities you have listed will generate a salary dividend for future employment in the UK. In other words, they aren’t worth the UK fees, let alone if you have to pay overseas fees. The fact someone is offering a placement year after the course kind of indicates they aren’t able to gather classic MBA applicants and are searching for ways to appeal to applicants too junior to really get value from and MBA.

If any UK degree is saleable in your country, then go for it. But I’d say don’t waste your money if you are hoping to get employment in the UK purely off the back of the MBA.
Hey, thanks a lot for the detailed answer. Quite a lot to ponder upon, but really appreciate your advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (167)
55.48%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (44)
14.62%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (33)
10.96%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
8.64%
I haven't started researching yet (17)
5.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
4.65%

Watched Threads