Discussion of Transphobia, Women and a Cervix

Watch
This discussion is closed.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Volunteer Note: This thread has been split off from an original thread discussing issues to do with transphobia in the Labour party, amid their annual conference. Due to divergent conversations, we now have one thread for discussing the Labour Party conference, and another thread for discussing claims of transphobia. This is to help the discussion flow better for everyone. Thanks

Original OP:

Party conference in disarray. All sparked by trans discussion about the MP Rosie Duffield being too afraid to attend the conference over comments she’s made.

It’s absolutely not transphobic to suggest that only women have cervix’s. Which is what this whole row is about. Let’s get that out the way, it’s not.
Last edited by 04MR17; 2 weeks ago
brjf
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Apparently the most important issue at hand is wether or not it’s bad to call a woman, a woman.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
I don't have an opinion on it, I simply don't care. I'm far more interested in their actual policy, aren't you?
I completely agree with Rosie Duffield and anyone else with a bit of sense. Only women have a cervix, it’s as simple as that.

The point is though, you might not care, you might just shove it aside as a non issue, but others won’t, especially women who want their right as a woman protected. So it might not concern you, but in terms of the polls, this doesn’t help Labour at all.

Quite frankly though, I couldn’t give a toss about Labour policy. I’d sooner give a kidney up. But it’s funny to watch their piss poor opposition to a horrendous government. It’s like you don’t want to be electable.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
Party conference in disarray. All sparked by trans discussion about the MP Rosie Duffield being too afraid to attend the conference over comments she’s made.

It’s absolutely not transphobic to suggest that only women have cervix’s. Which is what this whole row is about. Let’s get that out the way, it’s not.

Starmer however, hasn’t held that view, he couldn’t answer the question, and this morning, neither could Rachel Reeves who was an absolute embarrassment to the party on an interview. Laughable really.

First it’s the working class Labour have alienated, now it’s women. It’s just the gift that keeps on giving. When you have a government as incompetent as this one and you’re still focusing on petty little things like this; it’s just laughable.
Its almost amusing how rampantly sexist these lot have become in order to get the trans lobby onboard - an odd thing to do given women make up 50% of the population and trans decidedly do not. Then again, theres a rather large difference, usually, between trans people and the activists. The latter being the decidedly unpleasant lot with bizarre policy ideas, ignoring scientific facts (men can give birth indeed) and so on so forth.
Rather a shame really as id rather eat my hat than vote for the tories but on the same token there isnt a hope in hell i'd vote for a party so self absorbed with this meaningless nonsense.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Er, sure? Given how most papers in the country are right wing or lean right wing, and how such papers will usually report on rows rather than policy, naturally a majority of the paper coverage will be on the in-fighting. In any case this is irrelevant to the idea that Labour don't have any policy and only care about identity politics, both of which are demonstrably false.
Maybe so but it certainly takes up an inordinate amount of their bandwidth.. no one really cares about the trans issue beyond a select group of overly vocal activist types who need reacquainting with a biology text book. Aside from that your average voter, although not likely the british rust belt ones, couldnt care less about this 'issue'. 'live and let live', as they say. In the same way that no one especially cares about gays (as in theyre perfectly happy to let themn live their lives as they wish) the same generally goes for this. Albeit when policies are specifically designed to favour them over over deserving segments of the populace.. like allowing me n into womens safe areas and sports teams etc. now that cvauses a bit more of a stir.
username4986690
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s absolutely not transphobic to suggest that only women have cervix’s.
It is, the position isn't even supported by medicine.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cervical-screening/
"All women and people with a cervix aged 25 to 64 should be invited by letter."
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
It is, the position isn't even supported by medicine.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cervical-screening/
"All women and people with a cervix aged 25 to 64 should be invited by letter."
Could give a toss. Only women have a cervix. It’s not transphobic to say that.
username4986690
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You can keep screaming about it till you are blue in the face but this is the reality we now live in. You don't have to accept it but you will be wrong until you do.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
You can keep screaming about it till you are blue in the face but this is the reality we now live in. You don't have to accept it but you will be wrong until you do.
Bonkers. Men do not biologically have a cervix. It’s part of the female reproductive system. What is this world coming to.
username4986690
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Bonkers. Men do not biologically have a cervix. It’s part of the female reproductive system. What is this world coming to.
That may well be true but legally they do and I know how much you love the law.
Starship Trooper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Alert the authorities. 20 years hard labour might make him think think again before committing hate speech and wrong think.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Put me before one of our joker judiciary officials and I should be ok…
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Starmer however, hasn’t held that view, he couldn’t answer the question, and this morning, neither could Rachel Reeves who was an absolute embarrassment to the party on an interview. Laughable really.

First it’s the working class Labour have alienated, now it’s women. It’s just the gift that keeps on giving. When you have a government as incompetent as this one and you’re still focusing on petty little things like this; it’s just laughable.
What is it you're asking us to discuss?
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
What is it you're asking us to discuss?
Labours incompetence.

We’ve had three pages of it though. Take your admin work elsewhere.
anarchism101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's pretty basic-level transphobia to assert that no trans man is a man. If you don't care about transphobia or think it justified then just be honest and admit it.

We've seen this style of argument over and over for years, just with different forms of prejudice: "It's not (racist/homophobic/transphobic/other form of bigotry) to say do (X)!" The argument, either implicitly or explicitly, is not really "X does not meet the definition of racism at a qualitative level", but rather "Racism is bad, but I think X is good/justified, so therefore it can't be racist!"
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Labours incompetence.
Thank you, so this is a thread to discuss your opinion of the Labour Party?
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
(Original post by anarchism101)
It's pretty basic-level transphobia to assert that no trans man is a man. If you don't care about transphobia or think it justified then just be honest and admit it.

We've seen this style of argument over and over for years, just with different forms of prejudice: "It's not (racist/homophobic/transphobic/other form of bigotry) to say do (X)!" The argument, either implicitly or explicitly, is not really "X does not meet the definition of racism at a qualitative level", but rather "Racism is bad, but I think X is good/justified, so therefore it can't be racist!"
No it isn’t. At all. Only women have a cervix. That in no way shape or form is a transphobic statement. At least to those of us who don’t get offended by the colour pink, or don’t feel the need to find issues where there are none.

For what it’s worth I’m pretty indifferent to trans rights. All up for inclusivity however for example the idea of just identifying yourself as a woman, and then hopping straight in a woman’s bathroom I find utterly appalling; funnily enough another issue which Rosie Duffield had the balls to talk about. Perhaps there are a few Labour MPs with an actual backbone.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Starmer's speech was quite good. There's a fairly long way to go yet until the election and he has time to improve.

Where Labour are really not doing well is in landing decisive blows on the Tories at a time when it should be easy for them. Oppositions always get accused of this, as it is harder for them to grab headlines than for the governing party, but this is where the House and PMQs come into play. Starmer needs to be tougher and more focused in his assaults on Johnson.

I think Labour's front bench still look weak and it doesn't do much for them bringing back the likes of Mandelson and Miliband.
Louis IX
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by anarchism101)

If you have a cervix or a vagina you are ipso facto a woman.

If that makes me a "transphobe" (which I'm not, because I'm not scared of transexuals) then so be it.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Louis IX)
If you have a cervix or a vagina you are ipso facto a woman.

If that makes me a "transphobe" (which I'm not, because I'm not scared of transexuals) then so be it.
Biology & dna versus self id, the gra and in some cases a virulent hostility towards seeing/hearing suffixes that end in male/man/he.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (61)
57.01%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (11)
10.28%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (16)
14.95%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (7)
6.54%
I haven't started researching yet (7)
6.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
4.67%

Watched Threads