Jammydodger39
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Would you believe a student if they say “ mr so and so says you can’t give detentions when I’m talking in your lessons because it’s not a good enough reason”

Am I supposed to believe this. Do teachers say this kind of stuff to students. This particular kid talks over me all the time and makes stupid chicken and pig noises when I’m teaching and I find it so distracting to teach over all the time it gets so relentless

What or who do I believe
Jammydodger39
Rep:
?
I said I’ll have a chat with sir then and I’ll bring you along and you can let him know what you told me
0ptics
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would scrutinise what the student said, especially considering the context and situation.
Jammydodger39
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0ptics)
I would scrutinise what the student said, especially considering the context and situation.
What do you mean? I don’t believe him anyway he’s a very push the boundaries type of student
0ptics
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Jammydodger39)
What do you mean? I don’t believe him anyway he’s a very push the boundaries type of student
Sorry, I should have clarified. But what I was trying to say has mostly been said by you in bold. I meant that you shouldn’t really be trusting a kid who likes to mess around and “push the boundaries”.
ThursdaysChild22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I said I’ll have a chat with sir then and I’ll bring you along and you can let him know what you told me
It’s often best not to say things like this; you are engaging their argument and depending on your tone it can escalate the conflict. Your only response should be to say that you’re happy to discuss the matter after the lesson, at which time you make crystal clear to the student that they are disrupting the learning and that you are following the school’s behaviour policy. You really do have to remain scrupulously professional and neutral, especially when students are making complaints about your behaviour management to other staff.
Jammydodger39
Rep:
?
Yep this was on a one to one basis Thursday in the exact words I said “why do you think it’s not fair? He said sir said it’s not and the school aren’t allowed to do it and detentions are pointless. So then I said okay no problem I’ll speak to mr x and you sam come along and we’ll see how to move foreward”
ThursdaysChild22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yep this was on a one to one basis Thursday in the exact words I said “why do you think it’s not fair? He said sir said it’s not and the school aren’t allowed to do it and detentions are pointless. So then I said okay no problem I’ll speak to mr x and you sam come along and we’ll see how to move foreward”
That’s pretty different to what you said in your first comment. Honestly, if you do this with the kids (changing your version of events, claiming that you said something and then altering it when asked again or criticised) I can see why they don’t like being in your class. Adult colleagues won’t like this either. I think you probably need to work on clarity and communication.
Last edited by ThursdaysChild22; 3 weeks ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Are detentions part of your school's behaviour policy?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (310)
57.94%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (75)
14.02%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.03%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.41%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.86%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed