theoretical physics/astrophysics and cosmology personal statement

Watch this thread
An ony mous
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I will be applying to uni in Jan 2022 from India, what concrete evidence can I present in my personal statement for STEM suitability? I would like to know international competitions I can take part in, preferably math and physics related. They must also be before Jan since that’s when I’ll be applying, and be open to Indian students.

I took up a challenging course in our country but I’m not sure about whether I’ll mention it, and I’m reading books like Resnick Halliday and Karttunen fundamental astronomy. But that can be done by anyone so I would like to know accomplishments that show prowess and not just interest, as I feel that’s where my personal statement could lag. Thank you!

@artful_lounger seems to know a lot about this
Last edited by An ony mous; 9 months ago
username5706823
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by An ony mous)
I will be applying to uni in Jan 2022 from India, what concrete evidence can I present in my personal statement that I’m suitable for STEM? I would like to know international competitions I can take part in, preferably math competitions, although physics would be good too. They must also be before Jan since that’s when I’ll be applying, and be open to Indian students.

I took up a challenging course in our country but I’m not sure about whether I’ll mention it, and I’m reading books like Resnick Halliday and Karttunen fundamental astronomy. But that can be done by anyone so I would like to know accomplishments that show prowess and not just interest, as I feel that’s where my personal statement could lag. Thank you!
your passion for your subject should shine through your PS, it's not really about participating in competitions but demonstrating how it impacted you in your PS, you have to reflect on your super curriculars and completely engage in your chosen subject and that should be shown in your PS, you can mention the books but you have to talk about the effect it had on you instead of just saying you read it , doing these things will look way better than participating in a bunch of competition just for the sake of it.

where are you planning to apply anyway and what course?
An ony mous
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
your passion for your subject should shine through your PS, it's not really about participating in competitions but demonstrating how it impacted you in your PS, you have to reflect on your super curriculars and completely engage in your chosen subject and that should be shown in your PS, you can mention the books but you have to talk about the effect it had on you instead of just saying you read it , doing these things will look way better than participating in a bunch of competition just for the sake of it.

where are you planning to apply anyway and what course?
Yess I understand that I have to talk about my experience and learning from my activities, but if there’s a competition coming up that would really be awesome, I’m not looking to take part in a bunch of them, just one because unfortunately I missed abut on a lot of them :/

Imperial- physics with theoretical physics
King’s- physics with astrophysics and cosmology
Durham- theoretical physics
Southampton- physics with astronomy
St. Andrews- theoretical physics
Last edited by An ony mous; 9 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (73)
67.59%
In the post (5)
4.63%
Text (15)
13.89%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (15)
13.89%

Watched Threads