The Student Room Group

Building service engineer HND, GCSE importance?

Hi there,

So, to cut a long story short.....ish, i am 30 years old and thinking its finally time to get a good qualification in a subject i love.

I have been in the building services industry for roughly 7 and a half years, first as a trainee cad technician and now as a design manager at a small M&E contractor.

One of The entry requirements for the HND state 5 GCSE's A-C, i was curious as to how important GCSE's are 14 years later? I got mainly D's and one C in English.

I do have an nvq level 2 in an unrelated subject and a level 3 diploma in interior design, will this help on top of my 7+ years in building services?

I will be applying to enrol in 2022, just wanted to know if there is any other mature student that has been accepted with good experience but lacking those high GCSE grades.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Bamps
Hi there,

So, to cut a long story short.....ish, i am 30 years old and thinking its finally time to get a good qualification in a subject i love.

I have been in the building services industry for roughly 7 and a half years, first as a trainee cad technician and now as a design manager at a small M&E contractor.

One of The entry requirements for the HND state 5 GCSE's A-C, i was curious as to how important GCSE's are 14 years later? I got mainly D's and one C in English.

I do have an nvq level 2 in an unrelated subject and a level 3 diploma in interior design, will this help on top of my 7+ years in building services?

I will be applying to enrol in 2022, just wanted to know if there is any other mature student that has been accepted with good experience but lacking those high GCSE grades.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give :smile:

Hey!

I’m 30 aswell so did my GCSE’s probably about the same time as you! I don’t know exactly about the requirements for doing an HND but I’m hopefully going to Uni next year and one of the Entry requirements for a lot of degrees I’ve seen are to have GCSE’s at least in English and Maths.I did actually contact one Uni specifically as I wasn’t sure I could find my GCSE’s and they were pretty adamant that I needed not only the GCSE’s but correct proof of them :/. It may be wort contacting the Uni/College directly to check with them?

Not sure if that was really helpful, but good luck, I know how daunting it all seems! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending