The Student Room Group

Do I stand a chance of getting into cambridge ?

Hi, I’m considering applying to study law at cambridge this year. However, I’m not sure if I’d make a competitive application.My IGCSEs are: A*A*AAAAA, which are lower than Oxbridge usually have but they were the highest in my year.I’m currently predicted 44/45 points in IB, the highest my school has had is 40. I’ve also been commended for my entry in the Robert Walker prize and won another essay competition. I have also done lots of reading and attended lectures around the law. However, I still don’t think I stand a chance of being accepted, since no one from my school has ever applied to Oxbridge. Should I still apply? And would my application be competitive?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Did you only do seven GCSEs? I think you self describe as a typical Oxbridge candidate, your IB prediction is very strong and entering external essay competitions and school prizes is a great asset. But what subject or course would you apply for, and what additional academic / subject related extracirricular activities have you done, eg You Tube lectures, magazines or journal reading, online course and so on? How will you demonstrate your engagement and passion for your subject? I also think the Oxbridge deadline is soon as well if I'm not mistaken.
I've heard that oxbridge look at your gcse grades in the context of the school you went to. If you got the highest grades in your year I'm sure this will be looked at positively.
Reply 3
Original post by Ðeggs
Did you only do seven GCSEs? I think you self describe as a typical Oxbridge candidate, your IB prediction is very strong and entering external essay competitions and school prizes is a great asset. But what subject or course would you apply for, and what additional academic / subject related extracirricular activities have you done, eg You Tube lectures, magazines or journal reading, online course and so on? How will you demonstrate your engagement and passion for your subject? I also think the Oxbridge deadline is soon as well if I'm not mistaken.

I did 7 gcses because the max number my school would allow was 6, but I chose to do double award science instead. I’m planning on applying to do Law at Girton. I’ve read many books, watched documentaries, and pod casts etc around the law. I’ve written my personal statement also, i’m just having second thoughts on applying
Reply 4
Original post by Rebeca5782
I did 7 gcses because the max number my school would allow was 6, but I chose to do double award science instead. I’m planning on applying to do Law at Girton. I’ve read many books, watched documentaries, and pod casts etc around the law. I’ve written my personal statement also, i’m just having second thoughts on applying

Well in that case unless you have 5 other universities you want to apply to, I would go for it! You have a lot to gain and experience from the application process, and not much to lose. I applied to Cambridge and I was interviewed but subsequently rejected after the pool and that was fine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending