The Student Room Group

Fed up of my mate and his silly relationship

One of my best mates got into a relationship around 5 months ago. Before this, he’d meet up with me and “the lads” a lot. Obviously, when he got into this relationship, I knew he wouldn’t be spending AS MUCH time with us but my gosh, I did not expect it to be this rarely. As we are Uni students, we had a 12-week summer holiday, he only met up with us twice and those were both times his girlfriend was away. Four times in a row now, he has flaked out on us last minute to go see his girlfriend.

He now has a job working at his girlfriend’s family business and he’s moving in with his girlfriend as well as thinking of transferring to her Uni next year. He’s pushing his friends away for his girlfriend and dedicating his whole life around her. His last breakup, he wanted to meet with us a lot as he needed to vent and get out etc. Now it’s like he’s forgotten that and he’s forgotten how hurt he was but if they break up, we ain’t gonna be there for him. I wanna tell him how we can’t be bothered to make effort with him anymore but don’t wanna come off as if I’m fully against their relationship, because in all honesty, I think they’re good for each other, it’s more just the approach he is taking. Part of me even thinks I’m being overdramatic
Talk to him, and tell him how you're all feeling. Seems like you are supportive of their relationship, but just want to spend more time with him as your friend and it's hurtful that he keeps ditching you all.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Talk to him, and tell him how you're all feeling. Seems like you are supportive of their relationship, but just want to spend more time with him as your friend and it's hurtful that he keeps ditching you all.

I spoke to him about how I felt today. Told him I feel HE is pushing me away as a mate and that I think him and his girlfriend are good for each other but HE is not balancing his life with friends and life with his girlfriend. He instantly accuses me of accusing his girlfriend of forcing him not to come out with us (when I never accused him girlfriend of anything) and got extremely defensive so I’ve just given up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending