Taking notes in lectures and reading

Watch
diorfa21
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello, im in my second week of first year economics. Im not sure however whether or not I should be making notes in the assigned reading. For example, i get set about a chapter a week from a textbook per module, (excluding one maths module). When I do this reading am I expected to take notes? It takes for one of my modules about an hour and half (give or take) to complete the reading and I feel as if this would take an unrealistic amount of time if I was to take notes on even the most basic parts of the reading. Likewise, how often should I be making notes in lectures? In my first few lectures I found the content to be fairly straightforward and understandable so I didn't see any point in making notes, yet everyone around me was smacking their keyboards.

Thanks,

University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by diorfa21)
Hello, im in my second week of first year economics. Im not sure however whether or not I should be making notes in the assigned reading. For example, i get set about a chapter a week from a textbook per module, (excluding one maths module). When I do this reading am I expected to take notes? It takes for one of my modules about an hour and half (give or take) to complete the reading and I feel as if this would take an unrealistic amount of time if I was to take notes on even the most basic parts of the reading. Likewise, how often should I be making notes in lectures? In my first few lectures I found the content to be fairly straightforward and understandable so I didn't see any point in making notes, yet everyone around me was smacking their keyboards.

Thanks,
Hi!
Hope your enjoying your first few weeks of uni!
How you make your notes (and how much) is completely down to personal preference. When I was a first year I made notes on pretty much everything and, although it took a lot longer, it meant that I had a lot to refer to when completing my essays and exams.
But, of course, you also have powerpoints, etc, that your lecturers will give to you.
In terms of extra reading then I would suggest highlighting key parts or just making note of the key points. Often lecturers refer to them in lectures or they may be useful for future projects so it is good to have a record of what you learnt from it.
Hope this helps!
Michaela - UoP Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (42)
13.04%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (88)
27.33%
I'm a bit unsure (57)
17.7%
I'm finding things difficult (110)
34.16%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
7.76%

Watched Threads