The Student Room Group

Job in year 13/first year uni?

I’m somewhat conflicted over what to do with my job. I currently work 12 hours a week and I can’t cut that down I’ve tried. I already feel like it’s somewhat affecting my schoolwork as I;ve got a lot of other commitments too. With exams in like literally 8 months I think I’m going to quit after Christmas.

But I also kind of really need the money. I should presumably get the same loan amount as my sister which will be about 7000, and I won’t have any help from my family. While this is plenty more than a lot of people, most accommodations still seem to come to like 6000ish, sometimes less often more. Which doesn’t leave a lot left over.

I’m not entirely sure what I’m asking, just like what’s the best way/how did you handle earning money over year 13 and first year uni. If I quit at Christmas, and focus on school until June. There’s no guarantee I’ll get a job that will take me for summer. I’d like to avoid working during term time for first year but that may be unavoidable. People always talk about working holidays but again surely it’s not easy to get a job just for the few weeks off at Christmas and such.

Maybe it’s not worth quitting anyway, or maybe I should try to find a different job with more flexible hours. Any ideas for flexible student jobs?
Good on you for working and learning at the same time, it’s very difficult and takes a lot of dedication!

I used to work in recruitment at Boots and this time of year we used to take on around 10,000 staff from the end of October until the end of January to work in store as store assistants etc. A lot of our candidates were students and young people as the jobs can be weekend or just a day a week so I would say look out on there website for Christmas assistants. It’s not just a 4 month job as a lot of them get offered a permanent job after.

That’s just a thought. Don’t forget about other stores though and businesses as the lead up to Christmas will bring lots of work. Maybe see if you can find say 6-7.5 hour a week instead and hand your notice in at your current place when you find something!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending