A level physics hel URGENT!!!

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Basically in circular motion. There is a experiment about centripetal force and you have to swing a bung around in a horizontal circle. The mass is varied but the radius is kept the same. This produces a straight line through the origin on a graph. But, what would happen if the radius was varied but the mass was kept constant.

Can anyone explain this to me using equations and explain the shape of the graph.
vicgb03
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
I think you would use the equation F=mω²r, plotting r on the x-axis and F (the centripetal force) on the y-axis.
As the radius increases, the centripetal force increases (F ∝ r). Putting the equation in the y=mx form, you can see that the results would produce a straight line linear graph which passes through the origin and with a gradient= mω²

Hope that helps it's been a while since I've done circular motion but hopefully it's correct (you can always ask your teacher if you're still uncertain/confused!)
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by vicgb03)
I think you would use the equation F=mω²r, plotting r on the x-axis and F (the centripetal force) on the y-axis.
As the radius increases, the centripetal force increases (F ∝ r). Putting the equation in the y=mx form, you can see that the results would produce a straight line linear graph which passes through the origin and with a gradient= mω²

Hope that helps it's been a while since I've done circular motion but hopefully it's correct (you can always ask your teacher if you're still uncertain/confused!)
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (23)
33.33%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (31)
44.93%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
20.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.45%

Watched Threads