waking up with a pounding heart

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
A few nights ago, I woke up suddenly with a feeling of dread, disorientated, with a pounding heart, feeling nauseous and with weak legs that progressed to trembling. The pounding heart stopped after a couple of minutes but it took me about an hour to stop shaking. Tonight, I woke up again with a pounding heart that lasted about 5 ish minutes with the same sense of dread and feeling like I am losing control (I calmed down after like 15 minutes) and I am terrified. This has never happened before and its just so scary - my parents tell me its just anxiety but why would this happen out of the blue when it has never done so before?
hxnnxh_13.11.06
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Is there anything stressful lately? It sounds like panic attacks to me but we'd need to know the context
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
A few nights ago, I woke up suddenly with a feeling of dread, disorientated, with a pounding heart, feeling nauseous and with weak legs that progressed to trembling. The pounding heart stopped after a couple of minutes but it took me about an hour to stop shaking. Tonight, I woke up again with a pounding heart that lasted about 5 ish minutes with the same sense of dread and feeling like I am losing control (I calmed down after like 15 minutes) and I am terrified. This has never happened before and its just so scary - my parents tell me its just anxiety but why would this happen out of the blue when it has never done so before?
Do you consume a lot of caffeine? Because some of what you've described can be a caffeine 'overdose'. I've woken up with similar feelings that last about an hour or more after having too much coffee during the day that then manifests when relaxing, or like, being asleep. Might not be this for you, just first thing that came to mind when seeing this thread.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by hxnnxh_13.11.06)
Is there anything stressful lately? It sounds like panic attacks to me but we'd need to know the context
Well I am a naturally very anxious person and I suppose the first time it happened I was feeling a bit more anxious than usual (although not loads) and I before I woke up I was having quite a few dreams (not necessarily scary ones though). Then the second time it happened I could feel I was anxious before going to sleep (mainly about it happening again). But this has never happened to me before so idk :/
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Do you consume a lot of caffeine? Because some of what you've described can be a caffeine 'overdose'. I've woken up with similar feelings that last about an hour or more after having too much coffee during the day that then manifests when relaxing, or like, being asleep. Might not be this for you, just first thing that came to mind when seeing this thread.
No i actually don't have any caffeine at all so I don't think its that
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Get some advice from your GP
domesticengineer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
See GP - they can do a simple ECG to check heart. Also can do a blood test and Blood pressure check. There’s so many things it might be or might not be hopefully but always best to see DR
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (121)
56.81%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (24)
11.27%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (26)
12.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (19)
8.92%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.16%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
5.63%

Watched Threads